Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I have a new cat (6 months old) called Sneakers.

She is currently a house cat until approx February.

Me and my wife have been asked to visit relatives (not too far away) for approx 3-4 days over Xmas. I can and will happily come back once a day to feed her however is it fair for me to leave her for this duration of time at home alone?

She has almost full access to the house and it's safe for her, my main concern is that she'll be under stimulated.

Any thoughts or am I worrying too much?

Thanks

EG

·
Registered
6 Posts
I personally don't really see it being an issue for that short of a time. She'll probably be bored and may try to get into things being so young, but when we went out of town we always just had my uncle come by once a day to feed the cats and play with them. Cats are pretty self sufficient, the worst we ever got was one of the cats being huffy with us when we got home for a day or two, or once she unrolled the toilet paper for us.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sneakers should be fine with that arrangement, although possibley bored. Can you leave out some safe toys for her to amuse herself with? Also, if you have holiday decorations out, you might want to put anything delicate/breakable/treasured by you away before you leave; as I'm sure you know, kittens have no end of resourcefulness when it comes to getting into trouble!:D

Happy holidays!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
If the house is kitten proofed, she should be fine. When you come back to feed her, spend a bit of time playing with her. I travel on and off for business, typically 3-4 days at a time, so I've often left my cats on their own. I have a sitter come by once a day to feed them and play with them, and they're fine. You might also leave a radio playing softly, preferably tuned to a classical music station, which cats find relaxing. Enjoy the holidays!

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I don't know.... if I left Book(8 months old) alone in the house for 3-4 days unmonitored (even if I checked on him daily) I'm pretty positive that he'd trash the place COMPLETELY while I was gone.

If Book was a human kid that I left unsupervised he'd be the kind that would be laying around on the couch smoking a joint with death metal music blasting and a bunch of other teenagers dancing on my furniture and breaking my stuff.

That's just my demon seed though... your kitty's personality might not be as ...destructive as my guy.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
LOL @ Krissy. I just had visuals of the actual Book sitting back on the couch with a party going on around him!

It definitely depends on the cat. You know your cat best and should be able to gauge if you think she'll do okay on her own. We're leaving our kitties here for 9 days soon. We have a friend who is going to drop in at least daily (he may even stay here but he's not sure yet). Our kitties have each other though and I think they will be much more relaxed at home with someone stopping in than they would if they went into boarding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts