Cat Forum banner

New cat owner, totally inexperienced!

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Annissa 
#1 ·
Hey there! I just started looking for forums on the net and ran into this one

My sister got a kitty this afternoon! It was all kind of sudden, someone just gave it to her. I am SO excited but also nervous, 'cause I've never had pets like that before. I haven't 'met' her yet, but my sis tells me she's about 2 months old. Right now, what sort of thing should I do with her? I live in a big house, so I know I should keep the kitty in one room while she's little. I guess some sort of box or basket for her to sleep in, with some towels? I don't know, I'll improvise But any advice would be great!

Oh, one thing that I'm worried about is that my dad HATES cats, can you believe that? I don't know how we're gonna tell him. I'm thinking having him up here for a few days and then letting him know. Like I said, it's a big house so he doesn't have to know just yet So I also wanted to ask, can you train a cat into not going into certain rooms, that sort of thing? 'cause I know he'd be pissed off if he sees a cat in his bedroom. I'll pray so he lets us keep her

Bye!

#2 ·
artemisa said:
I'm thinking having him up here for a few days and then letting him know. Like I said, it's a big house so he doesn't have to know just yet
Bye!
congratulations on the new kitty! :D

i just have 1 concern, how long do you mean by "few days?" you wouldn't want the cat adjusting to the house, calling it it's home, and then suddenly you have to give away the cat. did you already purchase the essentials? (food (dry/wet), litter/box, something to scratch, toys etc.)

#3 ·
I'm afraid not, but they literally gave her to my sister earlier today! That's why I'm worried, 'cause I haven't got what she needs ready here. I'm the kind of person that would do research and get prepared before doing this, but it just sort of happened. We have been wanting a cat for a long time now but we hadn't bought anything OR talked to my dad about it :?

I guess I'll improvise something for her to sleep in tonight, if she can get any sleep at all. Poor thing must be so afraid :( She hasn't gotten here yet!

#4 ·
This link would be a big help to any new cat owner.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Poin ... wners.html

However, that is not your biggest problem. Living beings are not disposable. If your father says no, and it's his house, what will you and your sister do? I think I would deal with that immediately. You will have to speak with your father and return the kitten if he says "no." I love cats; that's why I'm advising you to do this before the kitten gets to your house. :( Remember, this is a baby, and babies can't deal with a lot of stress. What a shame.

#5 ·
well, for now you can put down some newspapers in a box for the kitty to use the bathroom in. gas stations and convenience stores usually carry cat and kitten food, i'd suggest getting some kitten food. if you get dry food, you might need to wet it down if the kitten can't chew it easily. if you can't go get cat food, opt for a little bit of tuna or some sort of lunch meat. don't give too much milk, kitty will get diarrhea. make sure kitty has water too. cats will sleep anywhere they please :wink: so don't worry about making a bed. as for training...that sort of thing takes time, kitty will want to roam. you may as well tell yr dad now, its hard to hide an animal. kittens have a tendency to be noisy, whether it be meowing or scratching or running around like crazy. if yr dad won't let you keep it, try to find a no-kill animal shelter in yr area that'll take the kitten.

#6 ·
That was SO helpful, thanks. Well, if the kitty can't stay here I guess my sister's boyfriend will keep her. She was just over there with them, and you're right, it's not the sort of thing you can hide for long so we'll have to tell him. It'll be a pain keeping her hidden.

thanks again!

#7 ·
artemisa said:
Oh, one thing that I'm worried about is that my dad HATES cats, can you believe that? I don't know how we're gonna tell him. I'm thinking having him up here for a few days and then letting him know.
Whew! My Dad also hates cats, mainly because he is allergic. Luckily, I never lived with my Dad growing up. I live with my Mom and Stepdad and we always had cats.

Good thing I didn't live with Dad, like my Mom says, "If it's between the cats and you, I choose the cats." :lol: :wink:

#8 ·
That's exactly the argument we're going to use with my dad ;) We're waiting for him to wake up to tell him.

The kitten is so cute! She's a little tabby cat. She's still really nervous and won't let you pick her up or get too near, but she's getting better, we've been playing around with her, etc. She's had something to eat and did her necessities in a box we set up for her. We're still getting to know each other ;) Hopefully she won't be so shy soon :roll:

Thanks again

#9 ·
I don't believe that your dad has any REAL reason for hating cats. He's probably just one of those people that somewhere in life decided he has something against cats. It's been proven that anyone that allows themself to get to know a cat will end up liking it and the same could go for your dad if he let down his anti-cat wall.

#10 ·
artemisa said:
I guess some sort of box or basket for her to sleep in, with some towels?

Oh, one thing that I'm worried about is that my dad HATES cats, can you believe that? I don't know how we're gonna tell him.
Welcome, and congrats on you and your sister's (unexpected) new family member! Yup, please tell your dad right away. If he doesn't have a phobia, you two can probably be cute enough with the kitty to persuade your father to keep her. I bet he'll warm up to her. And how smart of you to search for forums and ask questions. You're way ahead of the curve already! When you have time later, just explore the forum get educated about cat care.

- A box with towels will be good for the kitty bed for now.
- Glad you set up a litterbox already for her. Please scoop at least once a day, and wash the box once a week. No one likes a dirty bathroom that's never flushed. :D
- Like others have said, a scratching post for her, located near her sleeping area, since they like to stretch and scratch when they wake up.
- Look around your house for things dangerous to your kitty and put them away, like rubber bands, string, gift ribbon, and cleaning stuff.
artemisa said:
...can you train a cat into not going into certain rooms, that sort of thing?
This will be almost impossible to do for most cats. Cats are naturally curious, and they will get into everything that could possibly be gotten into. Not letting them get into a place/room guarantees that they're going to be so curious they'll try extra hard. It never hurts to try though, so keep the door closed.

Since your kitty is new and nervous, just let her be as long as she needs. Best for you to just follow her around as she's exploring, to make sure she doesn't get into anything bad. Don't pick her up or hold her if she squirms and wants to get away. You're building trust with her, let her come to you. Best thing to bond is to play with her with some cat toys, like wands. When they are kittens, they are spastic little bundles with TONS of energy bouncing off the walls, so be prepared.

How exciting, keep us updated!

#11 ·
YES! Dad let us keep her, after a disgraceful day yesterday of crying around the house. He does have a bit of a phobia so it worries me how we're gonna manage. But we live in quite a big house, so hopefully they won't have to run into each other that much. That worries me tho, what you said about not being able to keep them out of any rooms :( My friend told me they're usually around the place they're used to being in, where the people she knows are, and not where my dad is ;)

I guess we'll cross that bridge when it's time, right now she's too small to let her out of the room we have her in. She'd get lost, right? It's hard waiting for her to come to us, she's scared! BUT when she's falling asleep and we're able to pick her up, she doesn't fight to get away, so I guess it isn't that bad. But she doesn't let us pick her up or touch her :(

I guess now we'll go buy all the things she needs, scratching post and all that. Oh, when I don't want her to do something should I say "NO!!", something like that? Or does that only work on dogs? :?

She badly needs a few toys, she's messing with everything she finds on her way.

Oh! a question that's been killing me. Are tabbies really bad behaved? 'cause she's definitely wild, but you're saying that all kitties are like that, full of energy. My friend has 4 and the two males are tabbies, they're kind of the wild ones, not sure if it's cause they're males or tabby :?

#12 ·
No that's just all kittens in general. They are just little babies and are definitely a handful. Even with getting toys for her, she will still get into everything so you have to hide things and keep a close eye on her.

Yes, keep her confined to the one room for now. You don't want her getting lost and not being able to find the litter box when it's time to go.

A stern NO will eventually work, can't say for sure when though because you have to remember that she's a baby and doesn't know any better. You can't use any form of discipline because she won't understand and will only grow to fear you. It would be like punishing a human baby for dirtying its diaper. Just be patient.

Good luck :wink:

#15 ·
Congrats on your new kitty! Enjoy the kitten stage; it goes by so quickly!

Now for the hard part. (And feel free to reject this advice)

Because your dad "hates" cats, you'll have to do everything perfectly for this cat. When you move away from home you're going to want your cat to stay with your parents until you can provide a good home for it. You can't give your dad any reason to continue to dislike the cat. Make him fall in love with her! Always keep the box clean (clean it out 2 or 3 times every day and be vigilante!), spend lots of time with her and wear her out so she doesn't cry at night, teach her to use a scratching post and if she continues to scratch, get Softclaws and use them. If she is the model of kittyhood, your father will have no reason to hate cats any longer.

I'm really happy that you got a kitten, but I always get really nervous when someone says that their parent(s) hate cats. It too closely reflects my own experience that led to some major hardships when I moved out on my own.

Good luck and if you ever need help or advice, remember us. There is tons of great knowledge here and someone is almost always here to help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.