Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A cat seems to be trying to adopt my family. We are trying to find out if she belongs to someone (no collar - we'll have her scanned for a microchip). If we can't find owners, we're planning on keeping her. Though my husband has owned cats before, I haven't, so I'm looking for advise as I'm sure a lot of things are going to fall on me.

I know to put shots and spaying first on the list, but would like some tips on what kind of food is recommended. Any particular brands? Is it necessary to give her canned and dry? Can I take up food she hasn't eaten or do I have to leave out? I'd rather not leave out as I'm afraid the dog will go for it (she's not scared of him!).

Any kitty litter tips? Recommendations on a brand?
Can you train a cat to stay off the furniture?
Anything else you might like to pass along to a new owner would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Poin ... wners.html

Peachy, this site should help you considerably. You will find that there is a great deal of disagreement about foods. However, if you can find it in the grocery store, it is probably not a good food, regardless of advertising. Iams, for example, is not good. The vet who visits here believes canned food is best. I feed both canned and dry.

I use a clumping litter, Arm 'n Hammer, and like it very much, next to no dust and good for odor.

Most of us keep our cats indoors, because allowing a cat outdoors can cut his life span 10 years or more.

Keep kitty's nails short, and provide a scratching post, and you can cover the arms of living room furniture with special plastic guards, be watchful, or use soft paws, which fit over the claws. That's the best method. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Here are 2 threads that are similar with yours :

http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t ... +cat+owner

http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8096

Make sure you keep your kitties nails trimmed. If he is notused to it - give it time and rub them in a loving way to get him used to them being touched. Then when you feel it is time to try and actually clip the nails place the kitties between your knees and push the nail forward - clip the tip only. Reward the kitty with treats and loving voice for allowing you to do so. Some people prefer to do one nail at a time if it is too stressing on the kitty. In time I have learned with my kitties to be firm but loving and do it quickly in order to reduce the stress level why doing so.

As for not damaging the furniture or other destructive behaviour you are the one that can teach the kitty not to do so by offering him a different alternative. As in if he is caught scratching the furniture - a simple NO is enough followed by taking him right away to the scratching post and showing him the motion. He will learn the rule and you won't have to repeat it but in the beginning.
Do not play with your hands always have toys to come between you and him.
Take him to the toy area when you notice that he is behaving badly - climbing on counters, haressing thr dog, or scratching you. Re direct his attention towards the toy area and have him playing - always remember to praise - that is how he wil catch on.
Never punish the cat - it won't only break the bond between you two but also teach him to be afraid of you

Here is more info on how to keep the nails trimmed from Dr Jean's site - a reputable veterinarian that we are proud to have on the forum. I recommend browsing all of her free article library - it is going to be very helpful.

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... how&item=1

I guess this is more than enough information for the moment. Please ask if you are confused about anything!
I hope you will get to keep the kitty - if you find out that he doesn't have any owners ..or that if the owners are irresponsible :roll:
Congratulations and keep on posting!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Oh we must have posted at the same time, Jeanie :oops:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help!
I do have another question: We live in an old house and periodically get a mouse inside.
Should I still leave out my mouse traps? Or, will a cat tend to stick her nose in them? Will she be more likely to take care of any mice? If so, will she bring them to me (gross!)? I've heard that they do.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Oh, yes. Your cat will investigate the traps and poison or anything else you might have. You can't leave anything dangerous lying around. They are curious and could get killed from ingesting an aspirin. They do not tolerate toxins at all! It would be best to get Riddex, a plug in, which drives out any mouse that comes in your house. If one comes in and can't get out quickly, kitty will try to catch it and probably give it to you. That's instinctive. They think they are feeding you, as they would a kitten. At times, although they consider us "mommies" when they knead us, they also bathe us and try to take care of us too. Then they are the "mommies."

Also, please don't leave ribbons, string, or long drapery cords where a cat could get tangled or, in the case of string, ingest it.

My best to you and the new cat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts