Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
My name is Julie.
I have four cats: Sagwa, Sadie, Sascha, and Tommie. I recently brought my 4th cat Tommie home in early October.
Tommie was a stray cat that was declawed. She had been living in my parents neighborhood for as long as we had been there. She's not very trusting towards people. It took me three months to get her to let me pet her. Every night for four years I sat outside and called her name and waited for her to come and she always did. In 2012 I got married and I moved away leaving the poor kitty there. However, Tommie had a sidekick that made sure nobody would pick on her. Well, around September the other cat disappeared. Since my husband and I were about to move from our small apartment to a new house we decided to go on and take her in (which I had been wanting to do for quite some time).
Tommie was a housecat. She lived in the house my parents now live in until it was foreclosed upon and she was abandoned. She adjusted to life in our apartment quickly, but every so often she would get the urge to pee and poop on our bed.
She did this until she learned where the litterbox was and stopped. We gradually moved the litterbox to the other one and this started again. We figured out the other cats (at that point) were guarding the litterbox so we put the second litterbox in a different location and this stopped for about a month.
Last night Tommie pooped on our bed. This morning, she peed and pooped on it and it's starting to get really old.
However, I'm thinking that this happens whenever the dryer or the dishwasher is going (since they are pretty loud and they even annoy me). However, the second litterbox is nowhere near the dishwasher/dryer. Also, I brought home my sugar gliders last night and since our apartment is full of boxes- the cage is taken apart and is in the room where one of the litterboxes is.
Do y'all have any tips on what I should do to get her to stop peeing on my bed? I am starting to fear my husband getting tired of her doing this and making me give her away. :/

·
Registered
392 Posts
The rule of thumb with cats is that you need one per cat plus one if there is a problem, so it's recommended that with four cats, you have five boxes. I not saying fill your house with boxes, but definitely add one or two more in different locations. Also, make sure you are cleaning them at least once a day, preferably twice a day. If that doesn't help, try a vet visit to make sure everything is ok.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We clean our boxes twice a day. I guess whenever we move we will get more boxes, but right now we really don't have anywhere to put anymore because of all of the boxes. She was fine until we started packing, and placing boxes in the room with her litterbox. I can see why she wouldn't want to go in there because going in there stresses me out with all of the clutter. Other than putting one in my bedroom and smelling it's stink all night long- we really have no idea of what to do.

We will be moving this upcoming weekend though, so that's a plus.

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
Other than putting one in my bedroom and smelling it's stink all night long- we really have no idea of what to do.
Do it. Peeing on your bed is habit forming and the lesser of two "evils" is for sure a litterbox in your room, the faster you can stop it the better. I have Jasper's only litterbox in my room as he's shut in here at night. I clean it once, at night before bed. My room is small and I don't smell a thing unless he's just done a poop.

When you move I highly recommend shutting her in a smaller room with a window and all her stuff until you're fully unpacked and do not let her out at all until she feels comfortable in that single room. Which could take weeks depending on the cat. Make it her safe room, make sure she can always get back into that room, and keep the litterbox in there even if she adjusts to the rest of the house. Moving around litterboxes can be confusing for cats. Maybe you'll get off to a good start in your new place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tommie has not been around our sugar gliders before- however, I'm not sure that she knows they are in here.
Since we are moving- their big cage is taken apart and in the room with her litterbox and they are on top of a huge cabinet that none of the cats can reach. The big cage that is taken apart might have some of their scent on it and she might not know what to think about it, but I don't think she's actually seen the sugar gliders. She mainly stays in our bedroom unless we are upfront. She won't come upfront though if the dryer or dishwasher are going.

I will definitely have to try keeping her in one room when we move. I think I might actually do that with all of our cats- they are all rescues and they don't adjust to change too well because most of them have been abused. However, Tommie is the worst with adjustments. I know it will get better in time- we just don't want to have to keep washing our mattress pad, sheets, and putting vinegar and baking soda on the actual mattress. lol.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Tommie has not been around our sugar gliders before- however, I'm not sure that she knows they are in here.
I'm pretty sure she must know from their scent. I don't know if that would be throwing her off though, since you have had some problems with the peeing even before you brought them over.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Invest in a waterproof mattress cover!
After you have used a good enzyme cleaner to get any scent out first!!
She sounds very stressed out right now so that is probably what's causing these episodes! !
Good luck and congrats on your new digs!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts