Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting another cat tree for a while now. I used to have mine in the basement in a corner between two windows. They enjoyed it. But when a temporary roommate moved in I decided to move it into a mostly empty room on the main level of the house that has since become the "cat room" as it has the litterboxes, cat trees and is where they eat. I've wanted to move it back down to the basement but thought a better idea would be to just add another :)

Plus, it might give me motivation to add some other kitty play things to the basement like I had planned. Some sort of ledges/shelves/climbing things for them to play on, etc. I already have a floor to ceiling scratching/climbing post!

There is an 80" HUGE tree on eBay for $99.95. Its still more than I want to spend (mostly because I kept hoping to find a cheap or free one on craigslist - so far no luck and I've been looking for months!). But its a great deal considering the size. I think I paid around $115 for the one I have now that's a little smaller.

I know the kitties would love it... and I have the money although I could put it to much more useful and responsible things...

Another reason I want one is that if/when Skylar makes her move back to the house the kitties will still be spending a great deal of time apart. This would give them something to play and sleep on no matter where they are in the house.

Any reasons not to splurge? It IS the Christmas season after all :)

80" CAT TREE CONDO FURNITURE SCRATCHING POST PET HOUSE - eBay (item 310274592841 end time Dec-26-10 13:45:08 PST)

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
That's a really cool tree! Only you know your financial situation, but if you do decide to get it, I think your cats will enjoy it. I know mine would!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I'm with Susan...if you think you can afford it then by all means, it looks like a fun tree for the kitties! I got my girls a cat tree for Christmas, but it's only a 57" for about the same price you would be paying for that 80" one. So I'd say it's a pretty good deal (the one I got was even on sale).

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
You can never be too thin, too rich or have too many cat trees
....or kitty litter
....or toilet paper

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think a small base is a common problem with the super tall cat trees - they all seem to have about the same size base. The one I have now will occasionally wobble just a little if someone takes a flying leap, but I've never been concerned about it tipping over. Plus, if this is in a corner it seems that they would logically be jumping away from the walls and if tipping were a problem it would just head to the wall and stop. If that makes sense.

Plus, if its really a problem I can always just get a bit flat piece of wood to attach it to.

My cats are all fairly small. Skylar and Carson are full grown at 8lbs. Tristan was I think almost 8lbs when he was weighed last at around 8 months old... he may end up being a bigger kitty but not huge. Logan is very solid, but she's petite. I think she was about 6lbs when she was around 5 months old. She may end up weighing more than her big sisters but probably not by much.

I really like the perch that hangs down like a hammock bed. But I bought my last tree because it has a hammock at the bottom and nobody has ever used it! I think as long as its up high, it will get used. I honestly don't expect them to use the little cubbies... the one I have now has a big square box that I would feed Skylar in, otherwise nobody went near it. I may end up feeding Skylar downstairs for a while so having that box will be somewhat familiar with her.

And after reading the reviews of cats having no way to jump down once they are up... looking at the tree I can see how that would be a problem.

I may take some time to look around at different models and see if I can find one with more jumping levels to it. But its such a good price!!

There is always THIS monster!!

or this?

Amazon.com: 108" Cat Tree Condo in Beige Faux Fur: Kitchen & Dining

Ohhh to have tons of money. Of course with something that size my cats would probably need their own house!

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Wow, those last two are monsters like you said! If I were a cat I think I'd just be confused by them. Then again, I'm not.

If you're feeling the pull to be responsible with the money, there must be a way to build your own cat jungle gym without spending much. Maybe something like those plastic milk cartons stacked up with some material covering on them? Some kind of stackable tote?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
If that one ends up being too much, you may want to keep an eye on clearance prices at someplace like Petco or Petsmart. We got our cat tree half off.

Sometimes if they have a tiny bit of damage (not enough to make the tree unsafe obviously) they stick clearences prices on them. Ours was missing a dangly toy part (which Apollo would have ripped off anyway because that's what he does) and it was a great deal!

Not nearly that large though. That is an impressive tree! I'd love to upgrade ours to something larger at some point, as I think Apollo has outgrown his.

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
I have one of those trees with the faux fur and really don't like it as much as the ones that have carpet on them (it seems softer to me, although I don't know if the kitties really mind). I do know for a fact that my trees made with wood posts are much more stable.

I was at my local pet store today and they had all of their kitties trees on sale. You might want to look locally and see what they have available.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just put up some new shelves in the basement... I did half as much as I was planning and that cost me twice as much as I expected! I still have one more area I wanted to put up shelves in, but I may have to find a much cheaper way to do it. That being said, I may have to put the tree on hold at the moment :(

Although I will be getting some cash for Christmas from my mom and hopefully grandma as well. Maybe I'll put that away into the cat tree jar and keep an eye out for another good deal. I think that listing is good until the day after Christmas anyway.

The problem with looking for clearance trees at Petsmart/Petco is they are still SO overpriced to begin with that even half off is probably more than I would pay online. Although I'm also looking for something small I can take to my mom's house for Skylar so that might be an option.

Maybe I can hold out hope for the after Christmas clearing of inventory to land a good deal. And continue to keep an eye on craigslist and hope for something to pop up!

·
Registered
528 Posts
That looks like a great cat tree for only $100.00 with free shipping. I've been looking at cat trees that are half of what that one is for more only plus shipping. I would buy it. That is so cheap. I'm also looking for cat stairs and they are so expensive that I could make it alot cheaper. On this cat treet there's a lot of shelves that they can climb on. Your cats would love it. Buy it.

Kathy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts