Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be a nice idea to bring a new cat into the house to give my 2 year old spayed female some company. My cat tended to be alpha in a relationship with another cat who was in the house for a time. Several cat-knowledgeable people suggested a male around the same age might be a wise choice, since they tend to get along with females better and also tend to be more deferential to female cats. Well, last week I adopted a rescue cat, a 2 year old male, declawed cat and he is turning out to be the Alpha. He is "claiming" me, driving my cat away from me and ruining the wonderful relationship she and I have developed over the past two years. Is there a solution to this short of re-homing the new cat?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I think the only solution, if you want to keep this cat, is persistance and showing that your female is going to get your attention. You're in charge. Don't let the male drive the female away from you. Give the female lots of petting etc, but try to do the same to the new cat at the same time. It won't be easy.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I agree. Simultaneous petting if you can, since you want them to try to be equals. Equal treats at the same time. Make sure they see you treating the other cat the same way. Play time with both, switching off if you have to. Talk to each of them the same way, including scolding if you have to.
Not sure how to work the male who wants to be king of the castle now, but I don't think scolding him for claiming you is a good idea if you just got him and want him to like you. But that's just how I think, not anything from experience.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts