Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, first post here. I'll be posting photos of Jinx soon. Jinx is a 4 year old, spayed female grey tabby that has been declawed in front :( (not by me). This is her 3rd day here and she came around quick. Used the litter box straight away and only hid for a half a day. Problem is that she has these small droplets on her behind area that sort of hang around and come off wherever she sits down. Not all the time, but some times. She is not peeing really as there is no spray or stream, just a droplet. It's clear and watery and doesn't really smell like pee. Doesn't really have a smell at all that I can tell. She is drinking plenty and my clumping litter shows that she is peeing in the litter box. What do you think? I've had cats before, but they have all been males. Thanks for your help and having me on your site:)

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Welcome! I saw her pictures and she is lovely.

The first thing I thought of was 'stuff' from her anal glands, but that stuff stinks to high-heaven and is unmistakeable. If it is clear and mostly odorless, I would have to think it is urine? Does it appear to be coming from her vulva and not her anus? In which case, it could just be a few drops left over from when she pees. I have heard of dogs having some trouble with continence issues from being spayed, but I can't say I've ever heard about a cat having those same problems. (not that I hear/know everything, it just seems unusual to me)

Something that struck me when I saw her pictures: in the last photo she looked pregnant, but I see here...that you say she has already been spayed. :? I do not wish to alarm you, but for a cat to look that huge/wide in the abdomen and have NO CHANCE of being pregnant...it cannot be a good thing. I think I would take her to be fully checked out by a vet. Specifically addressing the largeness of her abdomen and all possible causes of such. Maybe a physical exam is all it would take and/or a blood test to see what results that can give the vet. Possibly also a urine sample to check her bladder? That is all I can think of...

I'm sorry I'm sort of raining on your beautiful new kitty parade, but I really would like you to get her checked out. She certainly is beautiful.
Heidi

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's definitely coming from her vulva and not her anus. Urinary tract is what I thought, but never having a female, I wasn't sure. Sounds like Junx is gonna make a trip to the vet to make sure everything is ok. I got her from a well known shelter and she had vet records so surely she must be spayed. I'll let you all know what I find out. Thanks so much for your help.

·
Super Moderator
26,355 Posts
If you got her from a reputable shelter, her medical issues may be covered for a couple weeks. Lots of adoptions include one free vet visit, it may be in your paperwork.

I hope it's nothing serious. How nice that you adopted an adult. :D

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Yes, please let us know what they find out. I hope its nothing. Well, I mean, I don't hope you take her and spend money for 'nothing', but I mean I hope it isn't something serious and very easy to fix with a course of meds or something.
Heidi

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Heidi n Q said:
Something that struck me when I saw her pictures: in the last photo she looked pregnant, but I see here...that you say she has already been spayed. :? I do not wish to alarm you, but for a cat to look that huge/wide in the abdomen and have NO CHANCE of being pregnant...it cannot be a good thing. i
Blimey. Really? I've just looked at the pics of this cute little lady. Tobys tummy looks very similar ... and it goes without saying theres no way he can be pregnant ... 8O

Anyway. Good luck at the vet bob-e. Keep us posted. :D

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Wait....there's a difference. Does Toby look 'pregnant' or does he look 'fat'? Fat is usually all over, not just the abdomen.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Heidi n Q said:
Wait....there's a difference. Does Toby look 'pregnant' or does he look 'fat'? Fat is usually all over, not just the abdomen.
No, he looks pregnant. Always has. I'll take pics later.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
nanook said:
Aw, c'mon. Toby is just pleasingly plump!
He is fat and has a round belly. :lol:

Anyway ... many apologies for stealing thread.

Awaiting progress report on Jinx ...

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Toby could be a kitty Buddha. :lol:
Fingers crossed for Jinx. Does Jinx have fluffy "pirate pants" fur on the backs of her legs? Could just be a few drops of urine clinging onto her fur after she pees.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well Jinx went to the vet today and didn't really like the thermometer up the butt, but then again, who does. The vet said it could be many things, but was unable to come up with a diagnosis. I'm starting with antibiotics and am going to collect some urine for a test next week. She said if she is healthy, then it might just be a spraying type thing or mild incontinence. If it is just spraying she suggested a plug-in type pheromone disperser. If it's mild incontinence, then I'll just have to deal with it. :(

·
Banned
952 Posts
Wow, I just read this thread. I'm so sorry your new kitty is having issues. Have you spoken to the shelter she came from? You could find out how long ago she was spayed, maybe that has something to do with it?

By the way, Jinx is a real sweetie! :luv

1 - 17 of 17 Posts