Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rescued a very friendly stray neighborhood 2 yr old male cat july 2020. He is very loving. Not a lap cat but snuggles. Plays well. But still wants to go outside, made him an indoor only cat. So many questions, should we let him go back out? He has 3 windows he sits at all day. Should we get another cat or dog for companion? We are a couple in late 70 s. He eats well. Naps frequently. Wanted to sit at an open door even in winter!

·
Registered
73 Posts
OH congradulations on your new family member!! And GOOD ON YOU for providing a safe, loving home to an animal out there alone.
I too, took in a wild feral cat (not sure if yours is a true feral or just an abandoned pet??..but mine was 100% feral and completely wild..at first).
I think bringing in wild or feral cats is a LOT more fun, as most every day they are doing something new that they did not do last week. NOthing boring about taking in a feral cat, i say! LOL !!

My cat is STILL opening up and exploring being an indoor cat. Fun to watch. (it wasn't fun at first, it felt more like i had a prisoner than a pet, she was initially terrified to be indoors, but she DID get the hang of being indoors after a while. NOw she loves it)

And my cat is finally,
finally,, stepping onto my lap.:love: (ORIJEN TREATS helped..)
And finally will hang out in my bed for a while. This only took 2 years!! And i am now allowed to lift her off floor for about 1 minute. We are working on that one. LUckily, i have a vet who comes to my home. whew.

To your questions:
My opinion(and hopefully someone smarter than me will come along with ideas for you) but My opinion is, do Not let him outside, unless you and hubby can build some type of "catio" which are Not that hard to build. Or can you put up PLastic chicken wire (metal chicken wire rusts) to seal in your porch?
I fear if you let him outside you might lose him completely. Male cats roam. He is at risk of being hit by car, parasites, fights, attacks by other animals, it is a long list of hazards out there.
He is safer with you. That is MY vote on that.
Have you had him to the vet to get him fixed yet? You will want to do that. You may have to trap him within your own home to transport him to the vet... Or does your boy have his ear "tipped" already?

HOwever, studying up how to make an outdoor porch or catio can be fun for the two of you to work on. You can use PVC pipes or 2x4s or close in an existing porch or patio. Or, you can even buy the catios to be ready made off of Amazon, although they are Not cheap.

I have obsessed on that very topic of catios for past few weeks and have found a way to secure my apartment patio to be cat safe and am working on it now. Fun! Can't wait to bring Kiki out there.

A mate? THAT is a hard one. Hopefully, smarter people than me can come by and put in their two cents.
I suppose it depends on your own individual cat. Some cats are happy to be alone but probably most prefer a mate. If your cat is very playful, he might like to have a younger cat to chase around. If your cat is a crankosaurus about other cats, you might end up with world war 3 in your home. I do not know how one can judge that ahead of time.🤷‍♀️

My own cat, is super playful all by herself, and provides her own self with lots of action, running up and down her cat trees, chasing her toys around, racing about the home, and when i knew Kiki in the wild, i did observe, she did not seem to be much liked by other cats. So, for my unique cat, i have left her to be solo queen of the home.
But that is a hard question indeed....

and i do not know what you do if you do bring home a mate for your cat and find out, those two, even after being PROPERLY INTRODUCED (which IS a project, you do NOT Just throw 2 cats ina room, there is a process involved in introducing 2 cats...mmmHm)
oh i fell off my own train, :ROFLMAO: like i was saying, i do not know what you do if, even after being properly introduced,
what if your 2 cats never learn to get on well together. I do not know what you would do then....? It is probably unlikely that they would fight all the time, but, i don't know how that works.

·
Registered
73 Posts
WELCOME TIGGER!! I once had an orange tabby, they are SO CUTE!!!
also, Suraf, if it is any comfort to you, even cats who have NEVER ever been outdoors, spend all day staring out the windows!! I guess it is like TV for a cat!! :ROFLMAO:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts