Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to keep a cat from shredding a couch? I just moved to a new place and had a new couch delivered a few days ago and my cat seems to think it is his new toy (you would think he would use the $40.00 scratching post impregnated with catnip!).

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Keep an eye on your kitty and if you see him doing something he is not supposed tell him NO and then imediately take him to the scratching post miming the scratching motion as if you were a kitty. If you do this from the beginning he will certainly get the idea you don't want him to scratch the couch but the post designed especially for him :wink: . Keep him busy and don't ever tell him NO without letting him have something else to work on instead.
I have heard that some people use sticky paws and it works.

You will find a lot more information on Dr Jean's site :

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... how&item=1

Be confident and patient - it will work out great :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you tried Soft Paws? They are nail caps that you put over your cat's nails (you actually fill each one with glue and stick them over your cat's claws. I used it when Simon kept digging at a sore he had. You can get a pack of them here in Calgary at the Petland Store for 29.95 CAN. And, the cool thing is you can buy all sorts of colors! I bought Simon purple ones. They look cute on him!

Good luck and keep us updated

Kristy, Simon and Piper
Calgary, AB

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had this problem with Felix and used exactly the method that Ioana describes. It has mainly worked although there is an occasional set back. But now if he does it, his sister, Buttons, runs over to the scratch post and shows him how, then looks at me as if to say "Aren't a good girl" so of course I have to tell her that she is a very good girl. :lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So Far So Good

Thanks all!

I have been telling him NO very loudly when I catch him starting to scratch the couch. I will start bringing him to the scratching post also (that's a great idea that I didn't think of!).

So far the couch seems to be OK even though I can't be home all the time. I temporarily put beach towels over the corners of the couch although I don't think this will do any good since the last time I caught him scratching he was under the towel!!

Thanks again!

Robert

1 - 6 of 6 Posts