Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1 year old cat Max, has adopted a strange new standing towards me. At random times he will walk up to me and try to claw at me. If I am watching him he will hunch down and stare at me with dialated eyes. He meows at me but does not hiss or growl. His ears are straight up and down and his tail is moving so I don't believe its meant to be in a a cruel way. I try to speak to him in a slow calm matter or try to pet him and he tries to scratch or bite me. Two days ago he wrapped himself around my arm, dug his claws in, and tried to bite me. I threw him off and stood up and he tried to attack my legs. He then "stalked" me around the house until I finally ran up stairs and our dog interfered. These "attacks" and stalkings are becoming more frequent regardless of my actions.. He doesn't like me petting or holding him. My wife can hold Max, pet him, or cuddle with him and he does not try to scratch or bite her. He never "stalks" or lunges at her.
When we first got Max he was very affectionate towards me. About 6 months ago is when we noticed that he didn't like having me around him. But this new revelation didn't start until a couple weeks ago.We have moved several times in the last year and I'm afraid it has caused some stress for him. My wife was the one who comforted him through it all. We recently adopted a young dog but Max took a liking to him. They sometimes play rough together and my wife and I always try to break it up. We are not sure what to make of this and why he is only targeting me. He is aggressive towards me but not in a scared way. It's more like a power struggle. It's as if my cat is trying to dominate me. Any ideas on why my cat would be acting this way and what we can do to change it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
26,357 Posts
Has he been neutered?

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Welcome, and I hope we can help.
First, is Max neutered? If not, I would make an appointment ASAP.
Second, I was going to suggest getting him a companion that he could cat-wrestle with, but it seems the dog is fulfilling that role. As for breaking them up...unless or until either one of them yowls or yelps in pain, I'd let them hash it out and have at each other so they can exercise and wear each other out.
Third, are you engaging him in regular play sessions to wear-him-out? I mean, play with him until he is panting and tired. Plain old: worn out! I like to use toys that I can control and keep his sharp bits (teeth/claws) away from me. Things like Feather wands (Da Bird) or fleece ribbons on wands (Cat Charmer). A *great* toy is the laser pointer. Shine that little dot and race it all over the house, over furniture, around and around the room and up/down the hallways to get him running. Always let the cat CATCH the toy, regularly and often, to keep their desire to chase/catch high, because the possibility of actually catching it is good and it keeps their interest.

Now, for whenever he actually 'gets' you... Stop. Grab him and put him somewhere alone to calm down for a bit. My own cats will sometimes get rough with me, though it is usually when I am sitting and they are on my lap being petted. If they bite or claw me I just unceremoniously shove them off my lap. I am not rough, but I am not gentle, either. Sit nicely on my lap and be a good cat. Bite/claw/hurt me and you are getting OFF my lap and I am DONE giving you attention and will IGNORE you. I've never had one do to me what Max is doing, but if they came after me and actually 'caught' me...I'd grab them to get control of them and carry them immediately to a bathroom where there is nothing fun to see or do and they can chill out.
Another thing I do with kitties...is if they want to "catch" me...I let them! BUT...*I* will also grab them and hold *them*. I will scruff hold and stuff them under my arm with it clamped over them and holding them tightly to my side/abdomen in such a way they cannot bite me or use their claws. Then I just hold them like that. They may sit quietly with only their tail lashing to let me know how annoyed they are, or they may struggle and wriggle. If they struggle, I hold them until they stop moving. OR, I hold them until I can tell that *they* no longer think this is *fun* and want to get *away* from me.

It seems to me, that Max is a young adult male, reaching the age in his life where in the wild, it would be life/death/survival competing with other males and he is practicing these "mad-skillz" on you. Part of it is practice and instinct, but a big part of it is fun...because when you react, he gets to react *more*. Stop playing The Game with him and make The Game have some undesireable consequenses. Don't get mad/angry at him. Just handle him matter-of-factly and either ignore him or put him in a "time out" to cool down.
Best of luck,
Heidi

1 - 4 of 4 Posts