Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had a 2 year old female cat at our apartment now for about 2 months. We are moving this weekend and plan to add a dog to our family. The dog is an 9 month old female Golden Retriever/Aussy Shepard. The dog will be at the new place for 3 days before we move everything and the cat. How do I proceed with introducing them? The cat DOES NOT like car rides and I would like to see how the dog (from another shelter) will do with cat, so I would like to bring her with. But the 50 minute ride will upset her and she obviously will not be comfortable in a shelter while meeting this dog. Do I take her with anyway? Or, if I like this dog, do I get her and hope that we can successfully introduce them in a few days at the new house? Any advis would be appriecated!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Good thing I didn't put her through that. The dog just didn't work out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dog wasn't housebroken, shed like you would NOT believe and wouldn't do well being alone during the day (destructive if left for longer than 4 hours). We'll keep looking though.

I am going to see a 2 year old that has lived with kids and 2 cats tonight though. Wish me luck! :lol:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Australian shepards can be sort of high strung. Very active dogs. May be you should wait till you settle in and the cat settles in before bringing a new pet home. MOving is stressfull for both people and animals. One step at a time is my advice. Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So we ended up getting a springer/lab mix female 2 year old dog on Friday. We brought the cat to the new house on Saturday and set her downstairs and the dog upstairs and put a baby gate between them. Well after 15 minutes the cat jumped the gate, came up and sniffed the dog (the dog sat still while this happened) and then.......

Everything was fine! They get along great. I wouldn't say they are best friends or anything, but they both leave eachother alone. It was great. We really lucked out! I think part of the success was that for both the dog and the cat, it was a new house (new territory).

Yeah, a success story!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts