Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I said I was done after Nibbler. But I've always had trouble saying no. And so when my boss called me and told me about this new cat we have, and asked me to foster her how could I deny? Especially when she buttered me up, telling me how I worked miracles on Nibbler, and how I'm the best and most qualified person to take this on. *sigh*

Winly was relinquished to us because her owners are bankrupt and they couldn't pay her vet bills. Winly has two broken back legs, I believe she was hit by a car. Unless they could find a foster, Winly was going to be put to sleep. We just don't have the resources to keep her overnight at the clinic, there isn't anyone to watch her, it's the same at the shelter. She'll need someone to give her lots of one on one and TLC, just like Nibbler did, and apparently that someone is me. And so I said yes, and Winly got surgery to repair her broken legs.

She's coming home with me today, later this afternoon. Just when I finally got Nibbler to 100%, I am starting at square one with a new cat. And so the journey begins again.

As for Nibbler, I know I spoke of keeping him back when he wasn't doing so great. But after his last surgery Nibbler went through a miraculous transformation and is now doing so great that he can be put up for adoption. I've had him since August, and I've really grown fond of the little guy, but I know this is the best thing for him. I'll really miss him terribly when he finds his home, but what's the point of fostering if you just keep every animal you foster? (ahem CINDY LOU! :lol:) My boss said he could come to the shelter if all these animals are too much for me but I told her that my home will always be Nibbler's home until he gets adopted. He already spent enough of his life locked in a cage. And so he's here to stay, at least for a while longer. And there may be a chance that my sister adopts him... at least she's talked about letting Nibbler come over and stay with her a while, since there is a vacant spot in her home with Kovie missing. Nibbler LOVES her cat Binx, those two play non-stop when they are together.

I'll post pictures and update you all when Winly gets here. My new foster adventure begins today!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
This is wonderful news, I'm so glad you were able to save this poor cat.
I know how big a hurt Kovie's absence is causing. This will surely help.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sure hope so. At least it will give me a feeling of purpose, and something to take my mind off it. I am just hoping that broken legs will be much easier to heal than a broken pelvis. Or that she at least is better with her bathroom habits than Nibbler was. Broken pelvis, multiple hernias, displaced colon, and severe diarrhea all added up to one huge nightmare when Nibbler first came to me. I figured, what could possibly be worse than that? If I could save Nibbler, I can save anyone!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yay! That's awesome - both Nibbler and Winly's stories. Poor little Winly. You'd think that if you couldn't afford vet bills you'd keep the cat inside....but that's just me. I'm sensible like that.

That would be great for Binx, too, if Nibbler got his forever home with your sister. Plus you'd have visitation. What a great plan.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, well, some people just aren't very sensible like that. I don't know the whole situation so I don't want to judge- at least they did the right thing by signing her over to us.

But yea, I know Binx would be thrilled to have Nibbler around. The two of them are just something else when they are together! I'm just not sure if Sarah is feeling up to it. Kovie never was the biggest fan of Nibbler at all, I think she might feel she is betraying him by taking Nibbler in? But she at least said she'll take over fostering him for a while so it's a start :)

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Good for you, agreeing to help Winly. She couldn't be in better hands! And hopefully it will help to keep your mind off the waiting game, if only for a little bit.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, we're back from the clinic. And I found out it is Winry not Winly! Oops! :-D

The poor dear, she seems like she is in so much pain. And I'll get around to posting a picture soon, I would right now but my own cats are being ungodly little terrors right now. I mean, none of them seem to have a problem with Winry at all, no one is hissing or anything which is great. In fact, I think they are showing off because since the moment I got home they have been totally misbehaving. Nibbler knocked over the food bin and spilled it everywhere, Nito chewed a hole in the bag of litter, spilled it on the floor and pooped in it, and Chica ripped open my 20 pound bag of reserve cat food so I had to run to the store and get a big container to store it in so it stays fresh! They are digging in the trash as I type this so I've gotta run now and go scold them!

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
They are complete demons tonight, the mischief has not stopped! I cleaned my room (aka kitty base camp) for TWO whole hours and they made messes the whole time! Gotta laugh looking back on it though. Cindy Lou came home with my sister's boyfriend (she'd been visiting for a few days) and this caused Nibbler to go insane, running all around, tackling everyone, knocking stuff over. I sent Cindy Lou off with my friend Amylynn who was helping me with Winry, Cindy is best friends with Amylynn's cat Adaline. They have slumber parties and play all night. It's wonderful, because they both enjoy it so much and Adaline is an only cat usually. Nibbler is in his carrier on time out because he got WAY overstimulated. And Nito and Chica slipped through the basement door when I took a load of towels down to the wash and then they were running from me and refusing to come out so I decided that if they wanted to run around in that damp, old, creepy basement they could just STAY down there a while! Maybe they'll catch a mouse. :lol:

At least it was finally quiet enough for me to bring Winry out for some meds and some of her passive range of motion physical therapy. She cannot walk at all on her own. She can drag herself but I am not supposed to allow her to do that. I supported her back end and let her walk around a little on her front paws and I took her to the litter box and helped her. She actually dug and went potty, such a good girl! She is a lovely little torti, so I know she's gonna make it. She's got that sparky torti personality, so I know she's a tough little fighter.

Here is the pic we have all been waiting for!

Injury details:
We are not sure what really happened to Winry. The owners were real sketch balls and it is possible by the nature of her injuries that she was abused :-( She had been in this horrible condition for a month before her owners did something about it. She has a couple fractured teeth, and both her hind limbs are broken. Specifically her left femur, and right tibia. She got a transarticular pin in her right hock. She needs physical therapy in her left leg, because it is so tense and painful it's locked in a straight position. I'm hoping I can get some range of motion back in her over time but right now her muscles are so horribly atrophied that it may not be possible for her to ever gain full use of that leg back. The range of motion that she has is quite minimal, I can bend her hock a tiny bit and her stifle not at all. She doesn't tolerate it for very long, but hopefully we'll be able to increase it little by little.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Pobrecita! Such a lovely girl! Does she become aggressive or something when you try to help her with her leg?

Good luck with everything! you're a wonderful mama :)

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea, beaten and then left alone with two broken legs for a month >:-(

I've seen things that have seriously made me doubt my faith in the goodness of humanity as a whole. This is one of those things. Luckily, I can always come here to be reminded that there are lots of good people in this world.

@Lenkolas: I stop when she starts shaking and growling from the pain. She's so very sweet, she hasn't once tried to bite or scratch me.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PS I'm still calling her Winly because I personally like it better than Winry, so you may see me referring to her by both names ;-)

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Sorry to triple post but I wanted to report:

After 15 minutes of hot compress and after she'd had a fresh dose of pain meds on board for a half hour we did a little more physical therapy and I got her to relax enough to bend her hock about an inch! It seems like she is very stiff due to the pain and swelling, hopefully we'll see an improvement over the next few days.

Currently we are sitting quietly together on my floor as I type this, and Winly munches happily on some kitty grass. Such a sweet little cat.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Aww... I like the name Winry. It is the name of a character on one of my favorite animes, Fullmetal Alchemist. She beats up on the main character guys all the time... with monkey wrenches :D.

She looks like a real sweetheart.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ah, what a pretty girl, thanks for updating us and for the picture.

Very sad indeed, and I hope she is someday able to walk again. Torties rule.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts