Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
275 Posts
I'll try to make this short, but I want to get all the info out there.

I pulled two intact adult male cats from high kill shelter for our rescue group. One for me (Dusty) and one for another gal who could not take him until the next day.
I only have one isolation room. I set one up in a large wire dog cage and let the other have the rest of the room. Went out to get food and water for them. On the way back into the room, my cat Buddy snuck in to check things out. Dusty pounced on him in a playfull manner and they seemed fine for the moment until I caught Buddy and shooed him out. Dusty then walked over to the play cube and sprayed it! (about a foot away from the other new male cat)
I took the cube outside. Swapped Dusty into the large crate and the other cat into the general room area. Wrapped a towel around the lower sides of the crate in case of more spray to contain it.
Dusty did not spray again.
Dusty and the other newbie gor neutered the next morning and came home that afternoon. Dusty to the cage, other cat in the room area. Newbie went to new foster that night, left dusty in cage.
Bought salming collar next morning and put it on Dusty. Let hime have run of the iso room. He sniffed everything very thoroughly with me supervising carefully. He did NOT spray anything.
He has been in the iso room for almost a week now and shows no signs of spraying. He has seen and sniffed my cats under the door. Today I opened the main door and put on the screen door so he can see everything outside the room.
He appears to be doing well. He is a VERY lovey cat when I am with him.
The other cats have been coming and going past the room and there is only a bit of growling from my one cat who growls at all the newcomers. Everyone else seems fine.
Dusty does not act aggressively towards the others and does not cling to the screen door. Right now there is a cat sitting outside the door and he is sitting on his turboscratcher not paying any attention.

I am wondering now how to proceed next. Usually by now, if I see the new foster is healthy I start letting another cat in for supervised visits to see how interactions go.
I am so afraid the newbie will become a territorial sprayer, and I am not sure how to proceed. I really like this guy and he is a real lover. I want things to progress smoothly so I can get him adopted into a forever home.

Any suggestions on what to do next in regard to integrating him and letting him out of confinement room?

Thanks in advance!

· Registered
5,669 Posts
I would let Dusty out of the confinment room to be with Buddy. You could try giving them treats on different sides of the room, and then give them each a catnipped toy. Sometimes if cats are on the hungry side, they are more aggressive, so the treats take off that edge. A catnipped toy (or just the catnip itself) is stimulating in the first few minutes, but has a calming effect afterwards. Hope things go well. You can also sit between them with a fishing-pole like toy and flick it back and forth between them. You want their first meeting to be rewarding and fun. If they don't get along, then put Dusty back in his room and try again another day.

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have three of my own cats. Buddy, Otis, Caspian.
Should I try to introduce one at a time? Would hate to have Dusty think he is outnumbered or being ganged up on.
Buddy is always the first one to want to make friends. Caspian usually growls, Otis sniffs and walks away.

· Registered
5,669 Posts
I'd introduce Buddy first since he's the friendly one, then try Dusty with Otis and Buddy, and if all goes well after a few days you can include Caspian if he wants to join in. Just be sure you give lots of loving attention to each one individually and away from the others, so no one feels left out and gets jealous.

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.
I certainly don't want to overwhelm him and have him spray again. So far Buddy has gone into the iso room and they are ok. Not pals, but checking each other out (supervised).
It'd hard to go slow, but I know he needs it to adapt to living indoors with other cats. I want to make sure he becomes the adoptable little lover he can be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.