Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I got a grey tuxedo boy in December~ he turned up as a stray at a friends house. So I've been reading up on kitty health, raw diets, bladder issues, etc for the past few months. It occurs to me that it would be good to be part of this community for future questions. (!)

Sadie
:catsm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
new girl with tuxedo kitty part 2

I'm not just new to this forum, i'm new to writing in forums, so my apologies for not knowing a bit more about how to do this....
This should be my third required post for membership.

I wanted to answer a members question about a kitchenaid attachment too, but i'll wait till i am approved. (yes the attachment works but not on big thigh or leg bones-- i use a cleaver to get the pieces really small before i put them through the grinder.)

My tuxedo cat was a stray when I got him; he was skinny and wormy. This was three months ago. I had him wormed and then he had a cold and i put him on antibiotics, then he had a bladder problem; total blockage. He had to have a catheter and stayed two days at the vet. Now he's on a raw food diet and we'll see how that goes. I figure that as much research as i've done on the internet in the past few months, it would be a good idea to talk to other cat owners for advice in the future. I look forward to meeting others!

Sadie

·
Registered
9 Posts
My newly adopted boy is a tuxedo and was a stray as well. It sounds like your little guy has had it rough. This seems like a great place to get advice :).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tuxedo kitty on raw food diet, ran away

well, my tuxedo kitty, Priya ran away back in the spring. I haven't returned to cat forum for that reason. But I got a birthday greeting from the web adminstrator so decided to come and make an update.

I had moved Priya into the garage to live because of the complications of his urinary track problem. AFter a very expensive but life saving trip to the vet, he never got blocked again~ whether due to the new diet I don't know ~ but he began to have an issue with just steadily dripping pee. He still would visit the potty numerous times over and over, and then dribble all around the floor going to and from the catbox. I moved him to the garage, put up kitty shelving along the windows, set up a comfy bed to keep out drafts. I played with him every day with cat toys, and pingpong balls (he loves to chase them).

I let him come and go outside as he wished. Just one night he never came back inside for dinner. The neighbors didn't see him, and I've noticed this year that the usual stray cats who used to hunt mice in my shed are gone too. My house backs up to several acres of woods, and I've seen wild dogs or coyotes(?) a few times in my headlights at night in my yard, so I guess its possible they got chased away or worse.

I will have to postpone trying to have a kittycat for awhile, since my career will have me away from home a lot. But the next time I get a kitty I'm probably going to continue with the raw food diet as I think that Priya had a lot more energy and felt a lot better once I got him off the dry food and commercial food. But I will also get a better meat grinder because my kitchen aid didn't handle the bones as well as it should. I did notice that sometimes when I put a chicken wing (whole) in his bowl, Priya would chew it all up and eat it. But so many people say that they can choke on the bones, that I think I'd rather grind those bones up really small instead.

Anyway, thanks to this forum for all the good information I found. I will check back from time to time to keep my membership active, and hopefully in a year or so I'll be able to try being a cat mom again!

~s

1 - 6 of 6 Posts