Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined the forum a few days ago and have a question that is inportant to my kitty's health. (His name is Byron.) He makes either no sound when he "meows" or else the sound that does come out is a croaking sound like a frog. One of his ears is held out, not perked up like the other normal one. I learned from his foster mom that he had a bad infection in a shelter and was about to be killed, which is when she got him and has had him for a year. He had both a UTI and an URI. I am going to take him to my vet this coming week to have his bloodwork done so we can compare it to his numbers from a year ago when he got over his infections. Does anyone else have a cat who has a croaking sound for a meow? He is a very sweet little guy, very loving and submisive but also stable and not a "scaredy cat." Thanks for any input. This is only my second cat, as the first one unbeknownst to us had mesothelioma and had to be euthanized. We learned of his illness from a necropsy by the vet, being grateful that it was not infectious. (Mesothelioma comes from inhaling asbestos, and he was 8 years old and came from living with old folks in what we have heard was a very delapidated and dark house.) Our little Byron is around 6 years old and is a brown tabby. We only had our Siamese, Chai, for 6 weeks. He had a cough and we thought it was a hairball, but he started not wanting to eat and getting lethargic. I am praying Byron will be healthy. He seems to be healthy except for the ear, voice and his former URI and UTI.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is this a behavioral change for him? Did he suddenly stop meowing or has he always been a quiet guy? I know cats can get laryngitis just like people. Before you take Byron to the doctor try to get his meow "pattern" history so you can let the Dr. know.

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
My first cat, Onyx, had a croaky little meow. My best friend used to say to her "would ya go buy a real meow already". I would definitely get Byron checked by the vet since it appears you've only had him a short while, the meow could be from the URI or it could just be like Onyx's. The ear should also be checked on.

·
Super Moderator
26,810 Posts
Cleo has a croaky little voice, like she's been smoking cigarettes for 8 of her 9 lives. It makes me laugh sometimes when she talks to me, which she really, really doesn't appreciate.

Cali has no voice at all. All that comes out is a soft little caaaaa sound.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your comments. Yes, I have only had him for a week or two. As long as I have had him, he is either silent (even though he makes the meow motions, opening his mouth) or makes a croaking sound. Am going to get him checked out by the vet, yes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My parents' cats both have weird meows. Negrita has always had a croaky, pathetic meow that almost sounds squeaky and bird-like, as if the sound breaks off and resumes. When she was younger, she would often open her mouth to meow and no sounds would come out. Our vet never seemed concerned, and we got her when she was 6 months old. She's now 11 or 12, and he meow is a little more regular now, but it's still pretty wimpy.

Our vet said at some point Negrita may have had to have tubes down her throat (like when she was fixed or something), which could have impacted her meow. My parents' other cat got her teeth cleaned and came away from the experience with an entirely different meow that was (and is still) a pretty harsh and unpleasant noise, and she's 20 now, so clearly it didn't impact her health or longevity. So maybe Byron has had some medical procedure in his past that might have impacted his voice?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts