Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined this forum to get advice. I have a cat who just had a litter of kittens 4 or 5 weeks ago. She is a very sweet cat, though very protective of her babies.

One day, my 3 year old some accidentally stepped on a kitten's foot and made it cry out. It wasn't hurt - they just like to hide and jump out in front of you, and he's clumsy already. But momma went after him. She didn't hurt him, just hunkered down, laid her ears back, and chased him - growling and hissing. She has since then gone after my older son (4 years) for no reason, and then again today went after the 3 year old. She has never actually scratched them, but that may be because I have been right there to stop her.

This probably wouldn't be such a problem, but my 3 year old was attacked by a cat we had a year ago. She was just crazy. She didn't have kittens, but she HATED children. One day, he was just walking by, and she jumped on his back. She tore his whole head up, leaving blood running down his face and the back of his head. As you can imagine, he was very traumatized by this. So when this cat runs toward him hissing, he really flips out.

I don't want my son to have to endure this, but I don't know what to do. She is a very sweet cat, and gets along with the children 95% of the time. They are very good with her and don't bug her - they know to treat animals very well. I hope this will all be better when the kittens are old enough to find new homes and I can get her fixed, but I don't want this to escalate before then.

Please help. Any advice?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just what I've heard...

I've always heard that momma cats are a thousand times more protective after they've had a liter. I'd say there is nothing you could do except perhaps re-introduce your child to the mother cat in a friendly environment, maybe away from her kittens? Maybe let him feed her or give her a treat to signify that he isn't a "threat". See if that helps. :)

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Children of that age shouldn't be allowed unattended near animals, imo. I would keep the cat in a quiet room by herself and let her take care of her kittens. She's a new mom and is protective..as her instincts are telling her to be.

Do everyone a favor and give her a quiet place where kids won't go near her where she can raise her kits and in future spay/neuter all pets to avoid this problem. :)

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
agree with MowMow. find a quiet spot, bedroom, bathroom or even a large cage in a quiet unused room where the kids can't go and she will be a lot calmer. If you don't have a unused room, a large cage in an out of the way corner with 2 levels would work. You can cover it if need be for quiet time.

I know alot of people don't like the cage idea but it is a temp solution

·
Registered
3 Posts
Moms do well in closets. They will be protective. She saw one of her babies get hurt by yours now she is associating little humans with being more likely to hurt her babies. It's best to keep them separated and let her raise her babies on her own till they can be rehomed.

I won't tell you what you should do or not, but especially with little ones, litters are a big responsibility, please consider getting her spayed, so that she can just be a part of your loving family and not feel the need to protect her own.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts