Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am joining this forum after suffering a recent loss. I guess I am looking for support and advice. My son adopted a 6 month old kitten from the SPCA in September that he named Luigi. He soon developed a problem with one of his eyes clouding over and the vet thought it may be herpes virus of the eye and he as treated for that.It improved but then started again. He had blood tests and that ruled out leukemia and other health issues .Other than the eye he was an active normal kitten. About 2 months ago he started to have trouble walking on his back legs and was then treated with steroids but it did not improve. The vet thinks if was FIP and then when his eye got worse and was wobbly and he started losing weight and was not able to use his legs we had to make the decision to euthanize him last tuesday as the vet says it had gone into his brain and there was no hope.

This has been heartbreaking as he was an amazing kitten. So cuddly and bonded to my son. He wouldn't let him out of his sight. He would give hugs by wrapping his paws around your neck. We miss him terribly. We are waiting to hear back from the vet aftor an autopsy to confirm it was FIP. We are concerned about bringing another cat into his home if the virus is contagious. Does anyone have experience with this and any advice?

luigi 1.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
i am so sorry to hear about your loss. Luigi was a beautiful kitty. cats really have a way of finding a place in our hearts quickly.
I've never had a cat with FIP so the only advice i could give you is to talk to your vet about what to do before getting another kitten to be safe.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I didn't know what FIP was til now, I just googled it. I'm so sorry for your loss. :( I'll wait til one of the more experienced posters here replies to you. Hang in there. XOXO

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
so sorry for your loss.. having seen this heartbreak before, all of are cats and kittens get tested before we bring them home the first time. (or within days there after) so far we have been very lucky and not have to deal with a bad test result.. a through cleaning should take care of things, wash and disinfect dishes,toys, bedding and litter boxes..but do consult your vet.

·
Registered
716 Posts
wow...i am so sorry, that is a terrible thing to have to go through. I didnt know anything about FIP until I just googled it. It actually worries me a bit, because We adopted a kitten in december and he had an eye ulcer. The vet said it healed nicely, but it left a scar that sometimes looks clear, and then sometimes looks darker. He also had a big pot belly and a reccurring respiratory infection. He has grown into his belly, but still seems to sneeze more than usual and he will have a random cough every now and again. The vet said just to look out for eye/nose discharge, and so far we haven't seen any at all. I hope I am just beiong paranoid!! Are their accurate tests for FIP? It seems that the consesus from the websites is that its extremely hard to pinpoint FIP.

·
Banned
47 Posts
The only tests for the dry form(not sure about the wet) is a spinal tap and MRI. Only a small percentage of cats with the FIV virus have it mutate into FIP. We were told when we adopted Luigi from the SPCA that pretty well all of the cats had an upper respiratory virus that is harmless and could be treated if they had runny eyes, sneezing etc...That is probably what your kitten has and nothinbg serious. Luigi never had any of those symptoms, just the eye cloudiness that showed up not long after he was adopted. Then the spine and finally brain were affected. The vet said it is very hard to diagnose FIP and it is only from the severity of his symptoms and his rapid decline that she was sure that is what it was. She did take a sample of his eye after he was euthanized to test and we are still waiting on the results.

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My son spoke to the vet yesterday. The test on his eye was not conclusive but she consulted and they beleive with the symptoms he had and his rapid decline it must have been FIP. She says that it is not contagious but the websites I have looked at say the virus can live in the environment for awhile and even longer in carpet. He hasn't decided on whether to get another kitten or cat yet as he is still grieving and gun shy after this tragedy but if he does we will bleach everything we can and steam clean the carpets. I am sure he will end up adopting again as he misses his little buddy so much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is really awful. I am so sorry to hear about this. I have 12 cats, and according to our vet, they have all most likely been exposed to FIP. The vet who said it isn't contagious is dead wrong. There is absolutely a blood test for the antibodies that can show if the cat has been introduced to FIP, and beyond that there are several tests that can show if the cat is actually actively portraying symptoms of it. Most cats who are introduced to it do get sick, but then fight it off. The disease lies dormant, but can resurface. The chances of that happening are very low if the cat survives initial exposure, but once exposed, the cat can absolutely give it to other cats. It is incurable, but luckily for most cats it doesn't usually kill them. I'm so sorry that Luigi actually did succumb to it. The best thing any of us can do for cats is to adopt from shelters or rescue ones on our own. The second best things we can do are to spay/neuter all ferals, strays, and cats living indoors, and to never let any of our own cats outside. It is through biting, sharing food, scratching, or feces that the disease is passed from cat to cat. If you have several cats, at least one with FIP, and can afford to have them all tested (we can't at the moment and have been told it is likely too late), then really the only way to ensure that the ones who don't have it don't get it is to keep the one(s) who have it from the one(s) who don't separated. Our vet also said to keep the litter boxes immaculately clean. FIP is a horrifically sad disease. We lost our old man cat last year to FIV-related illness (feline HIV). There is nothing worse than losing a sweet, innocent, little loved one. My heart & thoughts are with you.

·
Banned
47 Posts
Thanks for the info and hope your cats all stay healthy. I think what she meant is it isn't contagious as far as bringing another cat in after one who has had it dies from it. I have read though that the virus can live in the environment for up to 6 weeks after so everything needs to be disinfected with a bleach solution and to wash all fabrics he was on as well. My son still hasn't made a decision about getting another cat but if he does we will do a complete disinfection of his suite.We still miss the little guy so much. He was so sweet. I have never met a cat like him.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm not a cat expert but from what I have read and heard is that FIP will eventually and definetly kill the cat. There is no cure. I've heard the virus can lay dormant for up to 6 months. I would research more about this before he brings in another cat. I would also advise that all toys, litter boxes,etc the previous cat used be thrown out. It's now worth the risk of reinfection. As I said, please research this before he gets another cat. Plus any cat with FIP should never be let outside because that cat will infect other cats and that's not fair.

Kathy

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not a cat expert but from what I have read and heard is that FIP will eventually and definetly kill the cat. There is no cure. I've heard the virus can lay dormant for up to 6 months. I would research more about this before he brings in another cat. I would also advise that all toys, litter boxes,etc the previous cat used be thrown out. It's now worth the risk of reinfection. As I said, please research this before he gets another cat. Plus any cat with FIP should never be let outside because that cat will infect other cats and that's not fair.

Kathy
Thanks. There is such conflicting info on the length of time the virus lasts in the envronment! Luckily, Luigi was an inside cat who didn't have any contact with other cats.

·
Banned
873 Posts
Perhaps these will help

After Losing a Cat to FIP If there was only one cat in the house, and you lost her to FIP, it's wise to wait at least a month before bringing another cat into the household to be sure the virus, which can survive for several weeks, has died out. To clean up a household, a very effective cleansing solution is four ounces of household bleach to a gallon of water. Diagnosis: Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP). From the pages of Cat Watch (Cornell University College of Veterinary Medecine)
The virus (feline coronavirus) is spread primarily by fecal-oral transmission...Indirect transmission of the virus may occur; the virus is easily inactivated with detergents used on nonporous surfaces but may persist in the environment for several weeks.

-a Veterinary virologist
An update on feline infectious peritonitis - Veterinary Medicine

·
Registered
275 Posts
Here is another article for you
Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP)

I work with a rescue group that pulls cats from overcrowded high kill shelters. I have been told that the majority of the cats will have been exposed to corona virus, but the likelyhood of it developing into FIP is minimal.

I am so sorry for you loss.
Definitely clean and sanitize everything the best you can. Wait at least a month before adopting another furbaby.
I hope you and your son are able to open your hearts to a new kitty in need of a home.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts