Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this site and looking for some advice. We recently adopted a beautiful Siamese that we've named Jazmine/Jazzy, and I mean very recently - on Friday! Jazmine is not our first kitty but is our first siamese and our first rescue/adoption. She is currently our only inside cat.
A little background on her - I answered an add on Craigslist for her. The woman told me that she had 2 dogs and 5 kids and didn't have time for the cat. I specifically asked if the cat had any behavior issues and she said no. We've set up a safe room and let everything happen at her pace. She has come out a few times to let us pet her very briefly but yesterday she bit my husband. We have 3 kids, the youngest is 3. I am concerned for their safety.
I understand that this is a big, stressful change for her but how long should it take for her to adjust and show us her true personality? I really want to keep her but I wasn't really looking for a cat that we have to tiptoe around and can't love on!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Crazymama

·
Registered
19 Posts
Update

Anyways, an update on our kitty. That is why I'm here...tomorrow will be 2 weeks that we've had her. After reading every post on this site and others to try and gain any helpful information, we decided to not approach her at all and only pet her if she initiated the attention. So far things are going well. The last few days she has been joining us in the mornings while we prepare for work/school. She even fell asleep on the couch with my 11 yr old son last night. She does still bite and stands on her hind legs and bats at us at times. I'm starting to think it's not out of aggression because it hasn't broken the skin. Maybe she is trying to play but we just don't know her personality well enough yet.
We are committed to doing this, we miss the love and joy an animal brings to our daily life. She is such a beautiful cat. I hope to post pictures of her here soon!

·
Registered
19 Posts
She is really making progress everyday. She stayed in the living room with the family and some visitors all evening, then layed on the couch with me and watched TV. I'm really glad we gave her time to adjust.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts