Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! New to the forums. Decided to stop by and see if I can offer what little advice I have and see if I can get some advice for my Cat who needs to go on a very big Diet. He is a 25 pound sleeping machine. Just turned 4 years old a few days ago.

If you have any advice I sure would appreciate it and Im glad to help out if I can.

Thanks

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!

What are you feeding him now? How much and how often?

I'm not really an expert on cat nutrition by any stretch, but this is what I've learned so far...

If you're feeding kibble and leaving it out, stop! Transition him to grain-free canned food. At his current weight, he would need about 3 cans / day to maintain it, so feed a little less than that. Buy a baby scale and monitor his weight to adjust food amount accordingly. he shouldn't lose more than a few ounces a week.

Also, get some dangle toys and try to get him up and playing. Work up to at least 15-20 minutes / day.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Forgot to mention, take him to the vet and make sure there's no medical problems also. He could have a thyroid or other problem that affects his weight or energy level.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, currently right now he gets about 2 1/2 cups of dry food a day which sometimes he eats all of and sometimes he eats very little, same with the water. He gets wet food every once in a while because he eats it so quickly he makes himself sick!

As far as playing, haha he is amused by nothing! except insects!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts