Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I just found this forum in hopes of getting some answers to some questions we have regarding our new MaineCoon girl that we just acquired last weekend who we were told is pregnant. She is a gorgeous Maine ****. We really don't know much of her back story. We were told that she is 14 months old and her previous owner could not keep her for unknown reasons. We were just told that a change in life circumstances required them to rehome her. So, here we are with this cat who we were told became pregnant either during the last week of February or first week of March. If that's the case, that would put her at right around 4-5 weeks along. Yes, we do have a vet appointment scheduled for her, but our vet can't get her in for another week; however, we are starting to question if she truly is pregnant. Neither my husband or I have any experience with pregnant cats whatsoever. We actually breed and show Golden Retrievers, but have never had any dealings with a pregnant cat. Our other cats are all neutered males and this is actually only the third female cat I've ever had in my life. I know that the cat's nipples should become a darker color and become larger a few weeks into the pregnancy; however, I just checked and hers are not dark at all. They are a normal, pale pink color and they do not seem to be enlarged at all. Is it too early for them to darken and enlarge? She is showing some other signs, though, that she may be pregnant. She repeatedly is licking her genital area and she is also EXTREMELY affectionate. From the minute we brought her home on Saturday, she has been loving on us almost nonstop. She also kneads on our hardwood and tile floors (never seen a cat knead a hard surface before). She is not eating very much at all, but that, of course, could be due to the fact that she is adjusting to a brand new environment. She will eat canned wet food and we are free feeding her dry kitten food since she is potentially pregnant, but she has barely touched the dry food at all. We can't really tell if she is "showing" because, being a Maine ****, she is naturally a very large cat and she has a ton of fur, so it's hard to tell. Are there any other signs we can look for to confirm her pregnancy? We had really hoped to get her in with our vet this week, but they don't have any openings until next week, so for now we are stuck wondering if she really is pregnant.

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Three weeks after conception, her nipples should be pinker and bigger. Once she hits the four weeks mark she should be showing. Female cats that are the heat show similar symptoms, such as extra affection, and the constant licking of the genital area. She will also roll around on the floor, and meow a lot more. Do you know if she had contact with an intact male at her pervious home?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, she was with an intact male at her previous home, which is how we were told she became pregnant. She is not being vocal at all. I think I've heard her meow ten or fewer times since we brought her home on Saturday afternoon. She does roll around on the floor, but she only does this when we are petting her and rubbing her belly. If we aren't paying attention to her, she just quietly sits there or sleeps. I don't really think she is in heat. I've been around a cat in heat before and they were far more obnoxious than she is. I think what we are seeing is just her normal sweet, loving MaineCoon disposition. She is a very friendly cat. This will probably be a very difficult task, but I'm going to see if I can get a photo of one of her nipples to post. It takes forever to find one with her extremely thick, long coat.

·
Registered
576 Posts
The chances are, she's pregnant. She may not be vocal, seeing how she's in a new home. A friendly cat in heat will just flop down on the floor and roll around while she's being petted or her tummy rubbed. Every cat reactions to things differently just like humans.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm really hoping she is pregnant! We were so excited to have babies in the house and we planned to keep one for ourselves. We also have a some wonderful loving homes with our friends lined up for the kittens and everyone is so excited. She does feel very heavy when I pick her up, but that could just be because of her breed and how massive they are. I wish it was easier to see her belly, but she has a ridiculous amount of coat that hides everything. I was going to give her a bath (she really needs one), but if she is pregnant, I don't want to stress her out too much, so I just brushed another cat out of her. She was blowing out her winter coat and, sadly, the people we got her from didn't tend to her coat like they should have. Whenever we are petting her, she does stop several times to lick herself "down there." Fingers crossed that she does have some kittens in there!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yes, kittens are so exciting! If you do give her a bath, the water will flatten her fur out so it'll make it easier to tell. The chances are that she does have little kittens in there! Keep me updated! We'd love to see pictures of them!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I definitely will! I think that I will give her a bath tonight. Her coat is driving me crazy! I'm the type who likes to keep my pets in top condition and it has taken a great deal of restraint not to bathe her! I just can't wait for our vet appointment so we can find out for sure if she is carrying little ones! This is her. Her name is Elsa and she is 14 months old! She's a total sweetheart!

Attachments

·
Registered
Lady Silver Belle The Destroyer, Of Clan Grey Tiger
119 Posts
Don't bathe your cat unless you absolutely must, or if your cat likes playing in water.

Do brush her daily. I think they make like a "dry shampoo" that you spritz on your cat and brush her.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just bathed her and she did perfectly fine, wasn't stressed at all. I don't like dry shampoos at all (for either humans or pets).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have no idea what those movements in her stomach were! They were very pronounced and easy to see from a few feet away! We wondered of those were the babies moving!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I definitely doesn't look like normal breathing movement! It looks like there is some sort of movement going on in there! She is very heavy, but I'm concerned that she isn't touching her dry kitten food! We have her on the same Pro Plan dry kitten formula that she was eating with her previous owner, but she just hasn't touched it at all. She does eat the Pro Plan wet kitten food, though! She also likes the wet Fancy Feast that our other cats eat. I guess we will just keep stuffing her with the wet food for now! LOL! I would give anything to have my own ultrasound machine!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yes, definitely not breathing movements.

She may not like her kitten food. What dry kitten food are you feeding? Are you feeding her kitten food because of her age or that she's possibly pregnant?

That's totally fine! Wet food is better, anyway.

I WOULD LOVE MY OWN ULTRASOUND MACHINE!!!! That would be so awesome!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We are feeding her the kitten food because of the suspected pregnancy and she's on the same food that she was eating with her previous owner (Pro Plan Kitten). Our adult cats also eat Pro Plan and love it. She likes the wet food, so we are just keeping her on that! I was just with her and her belly does seem to be sagging a bit!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Oh, okay. That's what I was thinking. I like Hill's Science diet for kittens for pregnant and nursing females if you want to look into that one. It is expensive but it's worth it! After she weans her kittens she can eat adult food for every meal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts