Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just signed up because my 7 month old cat Harley has peed on my coat 3 times for seemingly varying reasons. Arg!

Does it make sense for a cat to PEE on your coat if you go to a house where there's other cats? My cat who died in July (Oliver) use to lay on my coat if I held/petted another cat but he never peed on anything! Gracious.

I read on a couple sites that even though she's spayed she's just reached sexual maturity and that could be why she's doing this. Has anyone ever heard of that? She's also just started aggressively scratching at the carpet and pawing at the walls, which she's never done before.

The first time she peed on my coat/purse was a couple months ago when she and her brother Finn had a nasty litter box - I got the message loud and clear and that seemed to solve all the problems as she never did it again until last night.

Last night was the first time she peed on my coat again and I had just got home a couple hours earlier from being in another state for two days, where I spent a lot of time with 3 other cats. Then she peed on a different coat - one I haven't worn in years but had to since she peed on my normal coat - this morning right in front of my husband. Could the unfamiliar coat have set her off? All the info I've read says the unfamiliar, even something minor, can make a nervous cat pee weird places (and Harley's a very jumpy type of cat).

She's making me crazy! She never pees on any of my husband's things.

She's lucky she's adorable or I'd have to kill her. Here's a picture of her when she was a tiny baby back in July:

This is Finn, Harley's brother, also when he was a baby since he's a huge monster beast cat now:

She's smooth and sleek and he's soft and fluffy.

And this is my precious Oliver, who I miss every day and always will:

I have an affinity for the black ones, if you can't tell. :wink

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
She's a sweetheart! And no doubt she's an even bigger sweetheart if and when she uses the litter box. :?

It would be helpful to know if what you're seeing is inappropriate elimination or spraying. The former will occur on horizontal surfaces, such as a floor, bed, couch, etc., whereas spraying will occur primarily on vertical surfaces, such as a door, the wall, etc. I ask because you say she pee'd on your coat a few times. If the coat was hanging up at the time, then she wasn't peeing, she was spraying. Although if the coat was on the floor (or on a chair that she jumped onto), and then she squatted and pee'd on the coat that way, that would be inappropriate elimination (peeing not spraying).

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Suggest you send your coat to be cleaned to the dry cleaners. From now on, don't leave any clothes on a chair, etc. for her to pee on. Keep your coats in a closet with doors closed, a laundry basket with clean clothes in a closet until you've sorted them. Don't give her a chance to pee on anything like that. You want to break her of this habit. The scent of the other cats has trigger her peeing. If you're somewhere where there are other cats, hang your coat outside for half a day to thoroughly air it out. If you handle or pet other cats or dogs, wash your hands or use a hand sanitizer, so that she doesn't smell their scent. Do praise her when you do see her peeing/pooping in her box. Hope you can nip this in the bud.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
On the other hand, if she knows that's your coat, and she can smell other cats on it, she may be trying to mark her territory - as if to say "this coat is mine!"
When I and other people work at the cat shelter, we can't leave our coats on the snuggle boxes... gets peed on. I think it's because the cats are trying to claim it as theirs. Even though they have their own blankets, this new thing gets claimed too!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts