Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here! I have 3 cats, a 10 year old female named Sita, a 1 year old named Snickers and a brand new 12 week old rescue kitten named Maxwell. We also have a 2 1/2 year old black Lab named Gypsy.

We got Maxwell last Sunday at a local rescue event. He is a long-haired dark grey tabby (definitely some Maine Coon in there), and he is a major sweetheart! I've noticed in the last week that after I snuggle with him I end up with bites, mainly on my chest, as that is where he is lying and cuddling. Obviously I am thinking, "Yikes! Fleas!". However, I asked the rescue org and they said he was treated with Advantage when he was rescued about 4 weeks ago, and none of his litter-mates have fleas (they checked after I called). Maxwell is not scratching and I can see no signs of flea-dirt or fleas.

I am confused because, except for the bites, I would never think he has fleas. Also, I don't know a lot about fleas, but it seems strange that they would jump from him to me, just to bite me (why not just hang out on him and bite him). I could understand if I was getting bitten on the ankles/legs because they were in the carpet, but I'm not... just on the chest (and one on my hand). They absolutely seem like flea bites, and they absolutely started after I brought him home. My husband has been away all week, so he hasn't been with him to experience any bites. My son (3 1/2) doesn't seem to have any bites, but I don't allow him to handle the kitten very much.

I plan on picking up some Advantage tomorrow and treating all 3 cats (I already use Frontline Plus on my dog). And, I guess after that just keep vacuuming, etc. Anything else I can do? Does this situation seem strange? I've always had indoor cats and never had fleas before, so I'm not totally sure what I'm dealing with!

Sorry for the long post! Thanks for any advice!

Suzanne

·
Registered
423 Posts
Definately give them the advantage again. Sometimes I think fleas are more attracted to certain cats than others...like with mosquitos with humans! My cats are indoor cats too but sometimes I'll find fleas on one or two but not the others :roll:

A good way to check is to set the kitty on someting white (paper or towel) and rub the kittys fur the wrong way a few times and then check the paper for black specks,if any is on there that would be flea dirt (eggs) and a definate sign there are fleas even if you can't see them.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Check the area above the tail. If there are black specks, they're flea eggs. Also, you should probably use a flea spray or flea bomb for the house when you'll be gone and puppy is enclosed outside. The fleas' eggs and fleas are in the furniture and rug too! :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts