Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new on this forum because I'm seeking answers about my cat. I just adopted her, she's 2 years old and very small, weighing only about four pounds. She eats just fine, I have her on a mixed wet and dry food diet just like at the shelter. BUT, she poops VERY OFTEN and when she does poop, it is very sticky and wet, which causes it to get stuck on her butthole. She is a shorthaired cat, so it doesn't get stuck in the surrounding fur, but on the outer edge of her butthole. She is getting poop everywhere, it is smearing, and she smells really bad. I would try to clean it off of her, but she is very upset when I try and basically doesn't allow me too at all. I don't think I even could wipe her butt every time for as often as she poops. I went to the vet a week ago, and they gave me some probiotics for her, which I have given her all of. She definitely poops less frequently now, but the consistency is very sticky, and it's becoming a real problem as she gets everything dirty in the house. Please help! If I can't solve this, I may not be able to keep her, and I really like her besides this. :(

·
Super Moderator
26,687 Posts
Some people recommend pumpkin to help firm things up. No more than a tablespoon added to one meal a day. Canned pumpkin, NOT pie filler.

Also, consider buying some unscented baby wipes. A couple swipes on her butt will help more than toilet paper or Kleenex.

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
It sounds like she is still not digesting and processing food well. You could try giving her a daily dollop of plain yogurt, as well, which will give her acidophilus for better digestion. We have a new kitten who just got over a long bout of mild but chronic diarrhea - the vet-prescribed probiotics (FortiFlora) were helpful, but the product contains has just enterococcus for the intestine (along with vitamins and such, which is great.) Another cat expert recommended yogurt to us, to provide flora for the stomach. Our little one finally healed up after we added yogurt.

I highly recommend plain goat yogurt - it is very digestible for animals as well as humans, and may be more manageable for your kitty than cow’s milk yogurt. Goats raised for milk and cheese are also likely to be raised in healthier manner than your standard dairy cows. Alternatively, you can go online and get another brand of probiotic - we used to buy Proviable brand probiotics for our other kitty, which has both and doesn’t require a prescription.

As a last suggestion, your kitty will likely benefit from a (slow) change of diet to a mid- or high-quality diet. At the cat shelter where I volunteer, we offer a single brand of cat food because the manufacturer offers a huge wholesale discount to shelters. It gives everyone a good deal, but not all the cats and kittens like it or thrive on it. Buy the best you can comfortably afford, and your kitty will have better prospects for a healthy, happy life! Read labels for the first five ingredients of what you choose, and try to find recognizable ingredients. Steer away from ‘meat byproducts,’ ‘digests,’ something-or-other ‘meal,’ corn, soy (or non-foods like cellulose, a wood by-product.) All of those are heavily-processed leftovers from industrial meat processing, and they just don’t offer as much nutritional value.

Good luck, and hope your new kitty turns the corner soon. 🙂

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for this response, I wanted to ask- is plain greek yogurt okay? Also, our vet also gave us fortiflora! we just finished the dosage yesterday. I did the slow transition for her food, she went from the Hills diet to Purina One, per the shelter's suggestion.

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
I would think yes to greek yogurt, too - it is more robust than ordinary yogurt. Try the goat if she doesn’t take to the greek style, or if you don’t see any change in her diarrhea. Edited to add: I think cow’s milk might have more natural sugars in it (lactose) than other milk sources, so that’s what might steer you to a different type.

Fran

1 - 5 of 5 Posts