Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I adopted my new little 9 week old kitty on Wednesday and she was spayed. I took her in to the vet yesterday because her incision site does not look good. She also has a kitty cold :-( They told me the site looks ok???? I'm still very concerned... What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
729 Posts
If the vet says its ok then it probably is. Spays are a more invasive surgery so the wound is gonna look a little more gross for a while verses something like a neuter. If it gets red or inflamed then that's when I would be concerned. Just watch it close. :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Personally, My kitten was neutered before I got him so I don't have any advice. I agree that it doesn't look right, but there are tons of people on here that have had tons of kittens spayed and will be able to tell for sure.

Just like our wounds heal less efficiently when we're sick, the same is probably happening for your kitten. a "kitty cold" is likely herpes. crushing up L-lysine into her food could help her get over it more quickly.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I agree. I've had many cats in my house recovering from many different surgeries and that is definitely something I'd be going to the vet for. It looks open, as lovetimesfour said. It could be that she was allowed to lick at it, or play too rowdily, and pulled her sutures loose. After her vet visit, she'll probably need to be kept in a cone for a few days and in a confined spaces such as a bathroom, laundry room, or large crate, so she can heal more efficiently. Also, the vet might give you antibiotics for her. I can't tell from the photo if that's just skin or pus.

·
Registered
346 Posts
It looks like an open wound to me from the picture you posted. My dog had one just like that less than a month ago and had to have a powder antibiotic sprinkled on it for a week to make sure there was no infection left before closing it up. ( our dog is prone to getting cysts and when they get too big or if she scratches them they can spread open. )
A second opinion wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so they said its not infected just cleaned it up and it did need to be stitched up again. Poor thing. Hopefully it works this time! She's got a "cone of shame" haha

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm not sure what I'm looking at here. I would have guessed a prolapsed rectum until I saw the comments. This is the incision from being spayed!? Get another vet to look at that. It's not right.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
If a vet told me that an open wound like that after a spay "looks ok", I'd RUN, not walk, to a new vet. It's a very good thing that you took her back in and had it restitched. It's also very good that she's now wearing a cone to prevent reopening the wound again. Keep a close eye on that incision and make sure it stays a normal pink color (not reddish or swollen or foul smelling or oozing). If it starts doing any of those "not" things, find a COMPETENT vet and take her in again. Keep that cone on her until the incision is fully healed, and try to keep her as quiet as possible.

Laurie

·
Banned
603 Posts
That vet is nuts! It is definately an open wound. None of my spayed cats have ever looked like that. Glad you took her to a new vet and she was restitched. :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Wow before I was looking at that picture on my phone. I could not see it very well. That does look bad now that I see it on my computer. Glad u got it stitched up!!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
As an aside, that is younger than most vets are inclined to spay over here but, to get back on topic, there is no way that that wound is anything like normal. When I clicked on the image I was expecting the worst end of normal (for want of a better expression) but nothing like that. If was like that when the vet saw it then he / she should be ashamed. Two of my cats were spayed this year (they are both under a year old) and we took the abandoned mother cat we found to be done - their wounds bore no resemblance at all to this. Is this vet the only one in the practice? If so and you need to stay there because of distance or whatever, ask to always see a different vet from now on.

·
Super Moderator
26,657 Posts
I have to admit that I thought the OP was a troll when they joined - especially with this being their first post. I thought they were just here to post gross pictures - because how could a vet say that was okay??

I'd also run, not walk, to find a new vet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts