Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 11week old kitten 5 weeks ago. He had first round of shots and was taken to vet for deworming and ear mite meds. He will get next round of shots this week but I noticed a patch of fur missing from the side of his face last week, and now another on his hind leg where it bends this week.(red skin and scaly looking too) I took him to an after hours vet last night after finding the second patch of missing fur. They gave him a antihistamine shot and a cream ointment and said if it does not clear in 3 days they would need to test him for either mange or ringworm. What can I expect with ringworm since I have three children and also two day care kids off and on who have had contact with the cat. I know it is treatable but what do you recomend I do? Also I started out feeding him dry kitten chow by purina and now cat chow since I had a big bag given to me is this ok? What is the best food to make sure he has the best immune system? Also what age should he be neutered? Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Feline Ringworm is easily treated....give your house a good vacuuming and keep the handwashing going. I am unsure if this is contagious to children? I am sure all will be fine in no time!

Have your cat neutered at 6 months old...
Congratulations on your new kitten!

I feed my cat a wet food diet....you can read loads of information about foods on the forum.... :D

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Actually children are more likely to get ringworm than adults. Not exactly sure why...probably because it's spread by direct contact or contact with an infected item and kids are more likely to be touching one another and sharing toys, etc.

It's a fungal infection similar (or the same?) to athletes foot, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts