Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I joined this forum because I'm a new first time cat owner. I adopted a 2 year old female maine coon mix, Sylvie about 3 weeks ago. I'm hoping to learn a little bit more about my cat from this forum.

This is here staring out the window at the recent snow we had here in Oklahoma City.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the compliments everyone. I adopted her from a rescue here in Oklahoma City. A couple who were walking their dogs found her abandoned at an apartment complex, she apparently loves dogs and would come up to them while they were walking their dogs. She is also a fastidious groomer, and when the adoption agency took her, they didn't find one mat in her fur even though she'd been living outside for a few months. They would occasionally feed her and give her water and eventually after they kept seeing her, they brought her to the rescue agency. I'm a college student who lives alone, so it's been nice having a pet around. I do have a few question about her behavior though, I hope it's okay to ask them here instead of making a new topic. She's very timid, and when she hears a loud noise will frequently run and hide. She also will hide when I'm not around, and seems to be most active when I'm at home. She is also very affectionate and if I'm at home she usually follows me around, which I think is a good sign, but sometimes she runs and hides and waits until I come to her to seek attention. Is there anything I can do to make her feel more comfortable?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Just give her more time and try the best you can to not change anything up too much in your home (ex. rearrange furniture, add new smells, etc). Kitties all adjust at different rates. I've known some who only took a matter of hours and others who took much longer, my mother adopted a kitty that took 9 months before she was willing to come out of the bedroom. But it was worth the wait, and now she rules the place. It sounds like she is adjusting well since she is out and about, even if it only is for a little while. Her hiding is a natural response, she is in a whole new place with new smells, sights, and sounds. She is still figuring out what is normal and what is not. Its a whole new world going from outside, to the shelter, to your home. She has just had a lot of change in a short amount of time I'm sure.

She is lucky that you found her and adopted her. Now she gets a chance to be warm, safe, and cuddled. It's hard to imagine such a sweet and adorable little thing out on the streets! She is very cute with expressive eyes. Be prepared to be showered with lots of loves that she'll express in her own, special way :p Welcome to the forum!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts