Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any other HomeAgain users who were disturbed by the email about the new privacy policy? Here's an excerpt:

"Please note that we have updated the Privacy Notice for the HomeAgain® Program. The new Privacy Notice, like the old one, outlines the broad categories of information we collect from or about you through the HomeAgain Program and how we use, disclose and protect such information. It now clarifies that we may send you information about special offers by either e-mail or postal mail relating to the HomeAgain program, and that we may share your information with carefully selected business partners so they can send you offers related to pet products, safety and health. It also makes clear that you have the right to opt out of the receipt of special offers by email but that the receipt of special offers by postal mail is an essential component of the HomeAgain Program and a condition of your membership.

Am I overreacting, or is that a little disturbing? We have to give HomeAgain our private information so they can contact us about lost pets, and I don't see how they have a right to "share" it. I don't remember this being a "condition of membership" before I had the microchip implanted in my pet!

There's an opt-out feature, but you have to send them a letter by snail mail with your signature, stating that you don't want your information to be shared. I'm not sure why they don't have a way of stating your marketing preferences online like other companies too. I think they're counting on people letting it go because they don't want to bother to send a letter.

I don't know about you guys, but I've lost a lot of trust in this company because of this. :( :twisted: :twisted:

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
Re: New HomeAgain Privacy Policy

The way I read that opt-out clause is that if you opt out, they can cancel your membership.

That privacy policy is excessively rigid, and I think if all the members become aware of it, they're going to catch a lot of flack. Usually those things are printed in such small and dense type that nobody bothers to read them anyway.

I really get po'ed at companies that lead you to believe something is optional, but then put such roadblocks in any other way that essentially there is no option. One credit card company, whose card I no longer use, wants to get all its customers onto web-based statements. I like paper statements; it's easier for me to keep records. So what happens when you try to log onto your account on their website, you find a form asking if you want to switch to online web statements. It looks like it's an option. There's a yes button and there's a no button. BUT YOU CAN'T SAY NO. If you choose the no button, you just get recycled back to the same form again. The only way you can get past that form and continue on to access your online account is if you select the YES button and agree to switch to online web statements. :evil:

there oughta be a law!!

·
Registered
5,077 Posts

I hate all those kind of things, and I always say no if I can. In this instance, I'd lodge a formal complaint, in writing.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts

I think that's outrageous.
Can't you switch to another company like AVID? or once you have a chip, are you stuck with that company forever?
If there's any way to switch companies (and let them know why) I would do it.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts

I was just thinking the same thing, Nanook.
There is a web search in my future, "Can I register my pet's HomeAgain microchip with another company?".
These last few years I have developed zero tolerance for companies or people that take advantage of me. HomeAgain just fell into that bin.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets mad about this type of thing.

That's a good idea about registering the chip with another company. I'll have to look into whether that's possible. I did send HomeAgain an email to say i'd be asking my vet to make another brand of microchip available.

Of course if the chip can't be re-registered, I guess there's not much any of us can do, and that really ticks me off. They know darn well that these things are already implanted in our pets, so we're stuck with them. I guess they can change the rules all they want once the chip is inserted inserted - and they're obviously well aware of that. :twisted:

The interesting thing is that I've always thought this technology could be pretty useful in the future - maybe even be used for small children, the mentally disabled, or elderly people with Alzheimers. People told me, "there's too much potential for abuse" and I didn't believe them. But now, thanks to HomeAgain, I can see how much power the microchip companies would have. :yikes

BTW, I found this contact info on the website, in case anyone wants to join me in writing to them.

Contact Us. If you have questions or concerns regarding this Privacy Notice, you should contact our Privacy Officer at: Global Privacy Officer, Schering-Plough Corporation, 2000 Galloping Hill Road, Kenilworth, New Jersey 07033. E-mail: [email protected].

1 - 6 of 6 Posts