Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm just going to tell you about Ozzi the kitten we found clinging to a tree, meowing at the top his little voice in the middle of no-where... Well it was just on dark and we were in the middle of a 4 hour drive when we stopped and heard a loud sqwarking meowww! Me, 14 , and my cousin, 13, went to investigate, we walked about 15 metres of the side of the road into the bushland and found a little bundle screaming at the top of his voice. I picked him up straight away and he didn't make a peep. I took him to my mother and we all fell in love straight away. We could clearly smell cat food on him and he wasn't too skiny , was not dirty, was not too cold but had a bit of a stink about him, from what i've researched on the internet i think he must be about 3 1/2 to weeks old. At the very nearest shop we gave him some milk- i know it is not healthy for him but he was HUNGRY! So far he has been lapping up small amounts of milk ( I know, not healthy) and chowing down on mashed up, microwaved whiska's wet kitten food...is this bad or good? Ummm also since we got home at 7.30 pm last night and it is 11.30 am the next day he hasn't pooped or weeed at all. I have tried massage with warm, damp cotton wool with no success, ive also given him a small cardboard box filled with cat litter but it is so far empty. i do not know of any mother cats aroung and there are no cat shelters to my knowledge around here. Little Ozzi looks healthy on the outside and i can not see any fleas or flea dirt. I am also taking him to see the vet this afternoon when my mother comes home from work. Ive got 1 week of school holidays left that will serve wonderfully as caring and bonding time. Anyway i cannot think of anything else but any replies will be great! p.s i forgot to say Ozzi does have a animal mummy, the thing is she is about 60 kilos, huge, black but the best labrador you will ever meet! As soon as we got home we let bonnie (the doggie) in to see the kitten and from that moment she would not leave Ozzi's side! Straight away bonnie took to licking and protecting Oz as if he were her own! however she is a bit to heavy to be left alone for a long time with Oz even though she very carefull and has had plenty of experience with ten puppies of her own- but that was six years ago!
Anyway i shall be waiting for replies!

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
What a touching story - I am happy you were around to help the poor baby. And reading about Bonnie being so loving to Ozzi melted my heart.
A bath may be in order if the kitty smells. Try a shampoo that is gentle enough for a kitten. Do not poor straight on the skin -dilute the size of a dime in lots of water and lather; rinse thouroughly afterwards. Make sure you don't get any water on the kitty's head! Ears, mouth and nose must stay water&shampoo free. Your mom should be of great help doing that...kitties are feisty while taking a bath :wink:. You won't need to do that but a week or two (assuming you will be bathing once a week only) - until the smell will diminish. It is best not to bathe a cat too often...actually hardly ever.
Taking the bath might help the kitty have a stool. With small kittens it is very hard to make them have one and a lot of times only a trip to the vet might help.
Let Ozzi have fresh water and kitty food available at all times. I assume he is using a litter box already (??)..well if not you can provide him one ..it is never too early
That is all I can think of this minute ...
I recommend going through Dr Jean's article about caring for young kittens : http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=005
Best of luck and let us know how the trip the vet goes

·
Registered
88 Posts
What a sweet story! I'm so glad you were there to rescue him!!

You may already know this, but make sure you aren't using clumping litter with a kitten or it can kill him at this age!

I think (I may be wrong) but, I think it's good at this age to use shredded paper for litter? Someone else may have more information on what's best to use.

You may also want to look into getting some kitten's milk from the pet store and maybe even a bottle specifically designed for kittens so he can "nurse".

Good luck with the new baby!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts