Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got two new kittens on Wednesday... One male and one female... The male seems to generally be a lot nicer and less of a trouble maker. The female is always the one starting fights, beating up on the male, going where she's not suppose to, always trying to eat table food, etc... I'm trying the water spray and was wondering if this is an effective method?

Just a few minutes ago, I was playing with the male and caught the female eating a small piece of meat off my plate. I should of put it away right away but I don't want them to learn that its ok to eat table food. I just grabbed her, put her in the pet taxi for a few minutes and away from the male.

I'm new at this and don't exactly know what to do when she's bad.

Their both 8 weeks old.

Here's a pic of them... The female is on the right!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
First, please get over the idea that she is being "bad." She is not being bad at all. She is just being a totally normal kitten.

You wouldn't expect a 2 year old child to immediately know and understand all the rules and what she can and cannot touch within 2 days. Your kittens have to learn it all, and it will take time. Patience, consistency, and more patience will be the keys. For instance, you knew you should not have left food out where she could get it, so please do not blame her! She is also not "fighting" with the other kitten, that is called play. Kittens will often play quite roughly, and it's all okay.

Squirt bottles and other "punishments" are not particularly effective with the vast majority of cats, and in most cases will make the cat fearful and skittish because the punishment will appear "random" to her. Here's more info on that subject:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... tbehavior1

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
185 Posts
I agree :D The kittens aren't fighting...they're playing. Kittens play rough. Don't worry, the little boy will figure out how to wrestle back in no time.

Kittens are like very small children. They need to be taught with consistency, repetition and lots of patience. It will get worse before it gets better so it is best to approach kitten behavior with a big sense of humor :lol:

·
Registered
192 Posts
i agree with the others... it may look painful but it's all play and a totally normal thing for cats... just enjoy like you're watching a mud wrestling match.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have a new kitten too. When we're eating dinner she jumps on our laps and tries to get at our food. We just put her down. Eventually we expect her to act like our older cat (ie not begging for food). He doesn't bother us because we don't feed him scraps. As long as you don't encourage them there should be no problem (at least that's our hope). With kittens you need to give them a little more leeway (lots of patience!). Just say "No" and place them on the ground. They pretty much think they can do everything. At least they're cute!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts