Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I’m new here! I’m just looking for guidance. I recently brought home a new kitten and am having much bigger issues than I expected with my older cat. The new kitten is a 10 week old female and the older cat is a 16 year old neutered male. Both are Siberian forest cats. The male is being much more aggressive than I expected, and for this reason I’ve had to separate them during the day while we are working and leave the kitten in a room by itself which feels cruel. Also, when the kitten is loose in the house while we are home we have to be on constant watch. My husband this is the male will kill the kitten if given a chance, and I’m wondering what you think? Did I make a mistake here? Will he ever accept her? Do you know of any ways to help the transition? TYA!

·
Super Moderator
27,174 Posts
Welcome!

Google "Jackson Galaxy, cat introductions". He has tons of videos and great advice. He'll probably advise you to start over to introduce them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just went through this with my new lil one. I got maybe a 6ish week old girl and my 3 year old girl can draw blood on even us if the mood suits her. lol. So I never left them together unsupervised for probably 4 weeks until she got to be bigger and I wasnt afraid the bigger one would eat her when we werent looking. I kept lil one in my room when I went to work, thank goodness she can occupy herself wonderfully and was fine with it. Brought her toys in to play with. It took my big girl a long time to accept the new one as shes always been the only kitty. She was terrified of her for the longest time. Theyre not the best of friends still, but theyve grown used to each other and will play for the most part nicely. They even share the cat tree together now. I think the bigger one is secretly a lot happier now as she has someone to play with, she hasnt attacked us nearly as much since she has company.
As for advise, just give them time. Some older ones are set in their ways and can take a while to accept new things. I knew it was going to take some time to have my girl accept the new one. I would have guessed less then a month, but it took over. I just wouldnt force them to be together, let them get used to each other in their own time. Its well worth it in the end. I also had thought that my bigger one was going to kill the little one if I left them alone. Its not so scary once they grow some and arent so tiny.
Would love to see pics of your 2!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I got a new kitten 3 weeks ago and my 16 year old cat was hissing at her which was understandable, however he has now started hissing at random times for seemingly no reason. I will be petting him and he will be purring, then he will hiss showing no other aggression, and continue purring and enjoying the petting. It’s really weird. It’s almost like he just recently found out he can hiss and just does it whenever. Anyone experienced this?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts