Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9 week old male Traditional Siamese. He is litter boxed trained but here is the issues I am having with him:

1 - He REALLY likes to stalk and pounce. I give him toys and he uses those but ocassionally he stalks by foot and pounces on it, scratching and trying to play bite. In a loud voice I tell him "NO" and it he continues doing it I place him back in his cage.

2 - Sometimes when I go to pick him up he can lightly bite down on my finger, I also tell him "NO" in a loud voice.

Are these signs of bad behavior?

I am use to dogs, it seems as those cats don't respond to well to "NO" commands. Cats have a mind of their own.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The system wouldn't let me edit my post. I wanted to finish with saying that I don't want to be too harsh on him but at the same time I don't want him to become "the cat from h#ll" when he grows up.

Is telling him "NO" in a very loud voice going to make him hate me later on?

·
Registered
184 Posts
No, it won't make him hate you. You have to let him know that his behavior is unacceptable. Now, if you beat him he'd hate you forever. I have to say, "NO" in a loud voice to Nox a lot, because he does the exact same things.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I have a Balinese, who just turned 1. She has calmed down substantially, but before, she used to play with everything and anything. In particular, dangly things; so my PJ strings were constantly being attacked and if I was wearing headphones...well you can guess the rest.

Your kitten will calm down eventually, but yes setting boundaries now is important. Your kitty needs to learn your appendages are not toys. It is important you don't play with your kitten with your hands or feet. Saying no is good, but you will also need to give kitty a time out by either walking away and ignoring or placing the cat in another room for a few minutes. You will need to do this each and every time your cat plays inappropriately with your appendages. Eventually, the kitten will associate this behavior with bad things. Good luck!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The other thing he does is that I keep him in a separated room. Sometimes when I open the door to enter the room he darts. Here is where my heart sank. He ran up to the railing (it's a 2 story home) and it is about 20 feet down from there. He got up to the tip of it and I grabbed him. I thought he was going to jump/fall. At that height, onto a tile floor, he wouldn't survive or he would get seriously injured.

Wouldn't his instinct take over to tell him NOT to get to the edge?

·
Registered
514 Posts
The other thing he does is that I keep him in a separated room. Sometimes when I open the door to enter the room he darts. Here is where my heart sank. He ran up to the railing (it's a 2 story home) and it is about 20 feet down from there. He got up to the tip of it and I grabbed him. I thought he was going to jump/fall. At that height, onto a tile floor, he wouldn't survive or he would get seriously injured.

Wouldn't his instinct take over to tell him NOT to get to the edge?
I'm not confident in a kitten's instincts. Although maybe that high of a fall would be different....

·
Registered
63 Posts
All I can say is, my kitten never jumped off of our balcony (from second story to first).

Not saying NO kitten would, just mine never did. And he would weave between the polls of the railing...scaring me to death.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a 9 week old male Traditional Siamese. He is litter boxed trained but here is the issues I am having with him:

1 - He REALLY likes to stalk and pounce. I give him toys and he uses those but ocassionally he stalks by foot and pounces on it, scratching and trying to play bite. In a loud voice I tell him "NO" and it he continues doing it I place him back in his cage.

2 - Sometimes when I go to pick him up he can lightly bite down on my finger, I also tell him "NO" in a loud voice.

Are these signs of bad behavior?

I am use to dogs, it seems as those cats don't respond to well to "NO" commands. Cats have a mind of their own.
I don't know if it will work for you (in regard to your feet being attacked) but when I sprayed water on MY FEET, not the kitty as I hear its not the best way to train a cat, it got Maxie to stop attacking my feet. (She was playing, but it was rather rough, ouch!) So when she attacked my feet, I'd spray my feet and she just licked them instead, haha. If the feet are a problem, (or maybe even try your hands)
why not give it a try?! :)

(I'm usually always barefoot at home, not sure about you)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It gets really frustrating. I just hope he grows out of this behavior as I don't want to end up with a cat that attacks me and that I have to eventually give it up to the animal shelter. :dis

Was the breeder wrong in letting him go at 8weeks?

Just right now he went poo in the litter box and stepped in it and is trying to get it off his paw. :fust

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
It gets really frustrating. I just hope he grows out of this behavior as I don't want to end up with a cat that attacks me and that I have to eventually give it up to the animal shelter. :dis

Was the breeder wrong in letting him go at 8weeks?

Just right now he went poo in the litter box and stepped in it and is trying to get it off his paw. :fust
Poor little guy, cut him some slack. I bet your mom had some of those :fust moments when she was potty training you. :p

·
Super Moderator
26,810 Posts
Yes, the breeder was wrong in letting him go at 8 weeks old, unless there was a very good reason. A very good reason.

That said, the stepping-in-poo thing is going to happen with kittens. Buy some unscented baby wipes - do NOT buy cat wipes, they're horribly expensive and not any better.

I find the stalking and pouncing adorable!! The biting thing, they have to learn not to. Cali was my biter. Saying NO and pushing her away from me worked, but it took time. Cats do not like to be ignored.

He has a cage? :(

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
Poor little guy, cut him some slack. I bet your mom had some of those :fust moments when she was potty training you. :p
I was thinking the same thing! :lol:

Imagine expecting a two yr old human to use the potty and clean themselves up....too much to expect, right? Kittens need to be about 4 months old before they're really good about not stepping in poop and cleaning themselves well. It gets continually better as time goes on, but they often need help for at least 3-4 months.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I second getting baby wipes. I have to clean my kittens every time they go to the bathroom, but it's worth not having to clean up poo stains off the floor..plus it's better for them.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The biting thing can be attributed to his teething. Yoshi still bites, but he's also still teething. He lost his little front teeth, but only 1 of his fangs....still has many more to go.
Just be sure to give him toys that he likes to bite. I also found plastic straws to be helpful. Yoshi chew and plays with them.

Also, are you having enough quality play time with him? This is critical and may help him with his aggressive behavior. Toys like Da Bird would be helpful.....something he can stalk and mangle that is appropriate....then maybe he won't do it to you as much.

Those are my suggestions and what I have found to work with our kitten.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, the breeder was wrong in letting him go at 8 weeks old, unless there was a very good reason. A very good reason.

The breeder claimed it is better for the kittens to bond with the new owners after they are 8 weeks old. So she sold all 5 kittens after they turned 8 weeks.

She was the only traditional Siamese breeder in AZ that I could find. She seemed reputable.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was thinking the same thing! :lol:

Imagine expecting a two yr old human to use the potty and clean themselves up....too much to expect, right? Kittens need to be about 4 months old before they're really good about not stepping in poop and cleaning themselves well. It gets continually better as time goes on, but they often need help for at least 3-4 months.
Is there anything I should do to help him in his litter box etiquette? Besides cleaning up his bottom and his back legs sometimes, is there anything else I can do to help him learn the proper litter box techniques?

·
Super Moderator
26,810 Posts
The breeder claimed it is better for the kittens to bond with the new owners after they are 8 weeks old. So she sold all 5 kittens after they turned 8 weeks.
Sorry, but what a crock of hooey! She just didn't want to feed them any more or spend any more money on them.

Sounds like he has a good new home, though.

For the litter box, with the twins, it just took time for them to learn to cover their pee/poo and to poop without getting it all over their (very, very fuzzy) butts.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Either that or she wanted them weaned so she could breed the queen again asap. I wonder if you call her again under the pretext of wanting another kitten out of the same queen she'll say that she's about to be bred again (or preggers already).

·
Banned
17 Posts
a breeder should know better but 8 weeks it is pretty common practice, my new vet gave me an odd look the other day when we said we wait till 12ish weeks her response was 'but people tend to want smaller younger kittens, wont you sell fewer kittens that way' so even a vet can be ignorent

1 - 20 of 21 Posts