Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I was wondering if I could get some advise.....

Two dys ago I got a new beautiful kitty that is about 8 weeks old. I realised when I got here that she was not used to humans, she was arund them but never let anyone pet her. My friend has one of the other kittens from that litter and they were able to tame her and she is wonderful. She caught my little cutie and not until the next day they told me how they did it....They chased her around the yard, caught her with a fish net and after she escaped that she was running toward a door to get outside of the garage she was in, and they slammed the door on her so she went face first into it. :cry: I wish they would have told me that before I took her because I am scared that she is too tramatized now to try to tame.

I have her in a side bedroom, and she is eating, but if she shes a human she high tails it under a piece of the furniture in there. She doesn't hiss and I can catch her to hold onto her and she doesn't scratch, but is very scared.

Any opinions on how I cn handle this or is there a chance that she will mellow out and be a happy kitty? Or am I just doing some wishful thinking?

Thanks for any help. :D

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
She's a bit young to be taken from her mother (12 weeks would have been better) but you can probably help her. I'd suggest you spend some time in the room with her. Bring a book and something comfortable to sit on, read. The kitten will probably be curious about you eventually, then she'll approach you. You could try talking calmly to her and maybe put some wet food on your finger and have her taste it. So she see's that you're a friendly person.

I've never experienced this much myself, only in my young age, and patience is the key. Let the kitten come to you and when she does, make sure she knows you're one of the good guys. The kitten was probably very stressed from that experience so she needs calm and also feel that not all humans are evil (and you aren't!).

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Catching ferals isn't easy, I'd know. I caught ferals by leading them inside then shutting the door. But they were morely GROWN ferals. I was able to catch all the kittens with my bare hands, or a towel. NEVER give chase, that makes things more difficult.

To tame kitty, keep her wrapped in a towel so she won't scratch you and gently pet her. Keep her confined in a room with food and litter. Preferably bring her in another confined room to get used to you, ignore her during this time. It should be less than a week with my experience that kitty will get used to you and want petted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree that patient is the key and also about offering her the food from your hand.
You should always approach her very kindly and silently, with slow movements and calmness.
Once I've been told that a good way to make kitten used to you is to address a warm breathe to his nose. I always did that to my kittens and they got very closed to me since the first moments.

Good luck and best wishes

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Yes, patience is the key. She is certainly young enough to tame. She shouldn't be leaving her mother this young, but if noone is playing with her, it's best that you got her young. She is in need of loving attention, because she is used to Mommy and litter mates to cozy in with.

As Cyberpet said, the key is patience, soft talk, soft music, no sudden movements, and something good to eat near you. Don't force anything. I think you'll have a snuggle kitten before long. Don't be surprised if it takes a week or even more. :)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Did you get the kitten any toys yet? Playing may help also! My feral kittens loved things on a string. They could play AND keep a distance ;)

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! I was really worried. I have a few kitty balls for her, but she hasn't touched them yet, so I will patient, I was worried that I would have to let her go. :(

·
Registered
552 Posts
Patience, patience and more patience. Move slowly and talk softly. Let me add to what Cyberpet said to you. Get a book and also get some treats, then go into the room with the kitten and read aloud, in a soft tone of voice. If the little furbaby comes out to see who you are, then be sure to offer her a treat. It won't take long before she knows that you are that wonderful person with treats! If she wants more time, let her have it. If she needs her own space, let her have it. She will warm up in her own time.

In 5 months, Angel has become very comfortable in her new home. She laid in here on my desk for over an hour, "allowing" me to pet her as I typed with one hand. She greets me when I come home by bumping noses with me. But she will not come close to sitting on my lap. One of these days... Patience is the key.

Keep us updated on your progress. And give up those thoughts of letting her go, OK?

Peace,
Mike

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, its day three with Kitty and she is still hiding under the bed, but a bit vloser to the edge and she was meowing pretty good last night and that is a first we have heard from her.......I think this weekend I will try to hod her, I got a soft brush to comb her with, so maybe I will get a breakthrough with her. :)

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mrssal said:
Well, its day three with Kitty and she is still hiding under the bed, but a bit closer to the edge and she was meowing pretty good last night and that is a first we have heard from her.......I think this weekend I will try to hod her, I got a soft brush to comb her with, so maybe I will get a breakthrough with her. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
The most important thing is patience - she will come to you when she is ready and when she feels safe. My mom’s cat took about a week to warm up to us but once she got used to the place and the people she got really sweet. Good luck!

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK happy update I think! My hubby was able to pet her tonight without her running, and I was able to hold her a bit longer as long as I stayed in her safe room as I call it with her. She also has come out where we could see her tonight but if she thought we were watching she would run right away, so I kept telling hubby to look but not look! :lol: She decided that a plant I had in the living room would be a great kitty litter box though, :roll: but I got new box with more litter and she at this moment is scratching happily away in it!

Sorry if these posts seems silly, but this is my first time with a Kitty like this and I am really excited on what I think are advances. :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
i heard that you can stay in the room with him/her, and just read the newspaper or book out loud. she/he'll get used to you gradually and eventually approach you with maybe a toy or for some lovin'.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
So happy to hear she's being more and more forward. I'm sure over the weekend she'll warm up even more to you. Happy news! :D

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is another update and she is warming up by leaps and bounds! She is now out of her safe room and is coming out to play with us, but he still won't let us touch her, but I hope that will come in time.

We have decided to name her Macy and hopefully I will be having her in my lap soon. :)

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great news! Macy is now sitting on our laps and being a huggy kitty (when she wants to)

She is still skittish when you walk but she is warming right up and being a very happy kitty! thanks for everyones encouragement. :D

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
What Grrrrrrrreat news!!!!!!! :D

I'm sure she'll be even braver soon. Give a bit more time and she won't even flinch when the roof falls down (well, i hope it wont, but you get the point).

Give the kitty a big kiss from us!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts