Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Heidi...I want your input on this girl. This is Renesmee. She's our latest foster. One night we ran by the shelter to drop off some donations. The shelter was closed, but I knew that I could sit the things outside the door in one of the cages. Well, I heard this soft mewing. I turned around and started to look when I saw this tiny kitten. She was alone and couldn't have been more than 5wks old, if even that. With the shelter being closed, busy roads nearby, and her being so tiny, I brought her home with me. Now, would anyone like to tell me how you would describe this girl? She doesn't fit the normal tortie, calico, or tabby patterns, so I'm at a loss. I think she's beautiful. I just don't know how to describe her.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
OMG she is beautiful!

P&R's got it; Torbie. Or Calico, if you like. Calico is more of a descriptive term used for cats with distinct and separate patches of black, red and white, not intermingled black/red tortoiseshell coats.

Your Renesmee is genetically carrying both Black and Red with moderate White Spotting. She also carries Agouti, which makes her tabby pattern stand out and her tabby pattern is Classic, with the target/circle on the side.
I'd call her a Torbie and you could call her Calico if you wanted to.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heidi n Q said:
OMG she is beautiful!

P&R's got it; Torbie. Or Calico, if you like. Calico is more of a descriptive term used for cats with distinct and separate patches of black, red and white, not intermingled black/red tortoiseshell coats.

Your Renesmee is genetically carrying both Black and Red with moderate White Spotting. She also carries Agouti, which makes her tabby pattern stand out and her tabby pattern is Classic, with the target/circle on the side.
I'd call her a Torbie and you could call her Calico if you wanted to.
Thank you! I knew you'd be able to tell me. :D I originally thought Torbie, but I guess it was the swirling/circle that threw me off. I knew she wasn't showing any of the common patterns, like your every day tortie, calico, or tabby. I've done a lot of cat rescue over the years, but I have never seen one like her. Her colors mixed with the pattern are just so unique. She's a sweetheart. She was pretty wild at first...hissing at anything that moved, but over the past two weeks, she's really calmed down and shown that she can be a sweet little purring machine. :lol:

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Tortietudelove said:
I've done a lot of cat rescue over the years, but I have never seen one like her. Her colors mixed with the pattern are just so unique.
This must be the week for it. One of my new fosters is a Torbie with the Classic tabby pattern and she looks just as unusual as your kitten. My first encounter with a kitty marked like this, too.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Erica, that's so awesome you took her from the shelter, when she would have had a bunch of hours of no food and water after you found her. What a cutie!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heidi n Q said:
Tortietudelove said:
I've done a lot of cat rescue over the years, but I have never seen one like her. Her colors mixed with the pattern are just so unique.
This must be the week for it. One of my new fosters is a Torbie with the Classic tabby pattern and she looks just as unusual as your kitten. My first encounter with a kitty marked like this, too.

Oh really? I saw your foster litter, but I didn't see a side picture, so I didn't know you had one. :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
October said:
Erica, that's so awesome you took her from the shelter, when she would have had a bunch of hours of no food and water after you found her. What a cutie!
Thank you. I just couldn't leave her. This was around 7:30-8:00pm, and the next day was Memorial Day, so the shelter was closed to the public. I knew someone would be in the next morning to care for the animals, there, but I didn't have any idea when they would. On a normal day, someone is usually there by 8:00am to feed and clean kennels/cages, but being a holiday, I had no idea when they would. I don't know if someone dropped Nessie off and didn't latch the cage good, so she got out, or if she was a stray, or anything. I just know that she was loose on the front porch area of the shelter and alone. I've worked with this shelter a number of times over the years and I know they do what they can, but they are a very high kill shelter. With it being kitten season, I knew her chances were slim. She's beautiful, but her chances of getting a URI, which is an instant death sentence, was very high if she went in there, not to mention the fact that they have lots of other kittens to choose from, and she was showing signs of fear...the hissing, back arching, etc. I just couldn't leave her. This is why I'll never walk away from rescue...there are always babies needing help. We've adopted some out since I was on here last, and lost one, but we still have 8 (5 cats & 3 kittens) right now. Never a dull moment when you have a multi-cat household. :lol:

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Tortietudelove said:
Oh really? I saw your foster litter, but I didn't see a side picture, so I didn't know you had one. :)
Yeah, I'll have to get better pics. I had to put them all on the window sill to get the group-shot. I'll get better pics soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts