Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
Myself and my girlfriend recently brought a kitten. He is a Bengal x with 'something else unknown', and is 12 weeks old.

The first couple of days we had him, he was real sweet and friendly, but now he's settled in, he's a little lunatic! Running backwards and forwards, jumping / climbing up everything, and LOT'S of scratching / biting.

I know this is all expected behaviour from a kitten of this ages, however the scratching and biting seems particularly aggrssive. I have had kittens / cats in the past as family pets, and I don't remember anything like this!

Is it perhaps just the breed in him? I have read that Bengals are particularly boistrous cats, and can come across as being aggressive.
Also, I have read that kittens of this age, if left alone on a day to day basis, can develop behavioual problems and become aggressive. We are currently leaving him for 6 - 7 hours a day whilst we are both at work. I have seen suggestions that if this is the case, another kitten would be beneficial as they will keep each other company.

Would this be a good idea, or is he just going through a phase like any other kitten, and will calm down eventually?

Thanks a lot!

Martin

PS,. he's curled up on my lap fast asleep at the mo. 10 minuted of peace! :)

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new little bundle of energy! Yes, kittens are rambunctious and will play with *you* in the absence of toys or another pet. I do think another pet to play with helps in many situations, most especially, it helps teach the kitten that *biting hurts* (by getting bitten back) and they learn to be more respectful and careful of their sharp-bits. Also keep in mind, two kittens means double the trou*cough*ble*cough-cough* Er-her-errrr-erm. I meant to say double the fun. :wink
You can also help redirect his playful energy by *never* using your hands to play with him, using toys that keep your hands away from him and that he *can* chase, swat, bite and grapple with...biting and kicking to his hearts' content. I like DaBird and Cat Charmer, both are toys on wands/line, feathers to 'fly' through the air for leaping/chasing and a fleece ribbon for the same thing. Another household favorite (and with guests) is the little red laser pointer-light/dot. You can stand in one place and run that dot all over the place, giving your kitty a rousing good cardiovascular workout.
Anyhow, I hope you've found some of these tips helpful. Photos of your new addition?
heidi =^..^=

·
Registered
243 Posts
I heard it is not a good idea to leave a kitten alone for that long - they become bored and destructive because there's no outlet for their huge amounts of energy. That was one of the reasons we decided to adopt an adult cat, as we're at work for most of the day. And I always hear that if you're adopting a kitten, especially if you don't have much time for it, that you should get a "buddy" for it. Some rescues even refuse to adopt kittens alone, you have to either adopt two or already have a companion for it at home. They're just like little kids - they want to play and learn, and they can't do it on their own.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i think your cat is aggressive becouse he is lonely maybe you should get a friend for him to play with why you are at work and i think to stop the biting you can get some sort of spray that you put on whatever it bites such as you and it doesnt like the taste well kittens are a little crazy when there young just part of being a kitten well i hope he stops biting and boisterous xx

·
Registered
580 Posts
A second cat is a lot of responsibility so unless you are capable to twice the amount of care and bills please don't got that route. Vet bills can become very expensive very quickly and having two cats means twice the amount.

Jack was an only kitten and we found that play sessions in the morning before we left for work, lots of toys during the day and play sessions when we got home were enough to settle his kitten rampages if you will. Also with Pepper the new kitten, and my husband and I's schedules, my husband is often home during the day and he can vouch that she sleeps a good bit of the day. So I am reassured that Jack didn't suffer when he was little.

Leslie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot for all the advice everyone! I think following this, we are gonna be sticking with the one pet for now. Yes, he does have his moments, but I don't think it's because he's being left alone. He seems perfectly happy at all time, and I suppose that being boistrous is just what little cats do!
Also, I will be doing shift work soon (I'm a police man), so there are going to be days when I'll be in the house with him :)

Can't get any pics uploaded at the mo (files are too large), but once I have figured out how to edit them, I shall certainly post a few up!

Thanks!
Martin

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Oooooh! We :luv kitty photos! I upload and store my pics at PhotoBucket. They automatically size them for posting on forums.
h

1 - 7 of 7 Posts