Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1 1/2 yr old kitty that I have raised from four weeks old. I noticed that when he went to visit his two buddies (other cats) at my friend's house he was very happy having other cat company. This prompted me to think about getting another cat. I went to the shelter and found a kitten 6 months old. It just got neutered and has its shots. I just brought him home and introduced them in my apartment yesterday. There are two concerns that I have. #1...should cats lick themselves right after they get neutered? Is it safe and good for that area? #2...I was not thinking that my kitty, Gerri, would be so dominant in his own apartment. He is hissing and growling at the new kitty and I wonder if he will get better over time? :(

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Cats of any age should always be introduced gradually! Please see our article on setting up a kitten base camp (http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... t=category) and separate them right away. If the introduction is not done right it can put a roadblock in their ability to develop a good relationship.

It's normal for cats to lick an incision after surgery. As long as he's not doing it excessively, it should be fine.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here are so important things to remember
Never let your resident cat see the new comer do the following:
1) Eat from the resdient cat's food bowl
2) Lay on the resident cat's bedding/box etc..
3) Play with the resident cat's toys
4) Being petted and loved by YOU!

But rest assure, once the cats get to know each other for a while, the above will be ok.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts