Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so yesterday i adopted this 2 months old female kitten that needed rehoming.

i got her home and she's now just hiding. i put her food and water bowls near but she wont eat. she hisses at me and attacks me if i try to get close.

i confined her in a small room and visit her from time to time, and i just lie there on my phone so that she gets used to me.

i never owned cats before, i understand this behavior is normal, but i would like advice on how to make her trust me and be confident in her new home as soon as possible.

thank you in advance :

·
Super Moderator
26,583 Posts
You're right, it's normal behavior. Imagine that you've been taken away and there's a new giant person now in charge of you (that's how the cat sees you). Hang out with her, read out loud so she gets used to your voice, and also leave her alone so she can explore on her own time. She needs her room to be her safe space. It's okay. Be patient. And post pictures. :)

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Unfortunately, your kitty missed out on very important training. The first 3 mos. of her life is the critical socialization period she would have learned--- control of her bite and claws, how to read cat body language and sounds, and how to behave with people and other pets, to accepted lots of handling. You will have to go slow with her.....use food treats to entice her to come to you while you sit on the floor. Gentle stroking on the head and neck while she is eating. Lots of play with her with a wand toy, or cord you can drag around in a snakelike fashion. You've got to convince her that you are a nice person, who is not going to hurt her, and will not push her too soon. When she's eating confidently you can try just lifting her a little off the ground for a few seconds and then putting her back down, or drag the cord across your lap, so she gains confidence and assurance that you're a good person who does nice things to her. Good luck, and all the best!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts