Cat Forum banner

New Kitten, Need Advice!

539 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  TabTastic 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm new here, hoping for some advice. I've had cats on and off my whole life, but never a kitten this young. We just adopted a 9 week old female from a shelter for my 7 year old. She's adorbs! :) She keeps pooping other places than her litter box. It's also a little runny. We've only had her for 5 days. I've put a litter box on both floors of the house. She's peeing in there, just not the #2. I've been trying to just put her in her litter boxes every 30-45 minutes just to remind her where they are. She's the only cat we have, litter boxes are in quiet, private places, etc. Thought maybe she's just lost and confused. Big house, little kitten? Is she getting confused about where her box is? Is it diarrhea as she's getting used to the food we have her on and she's not making it there in time? (The shelter feeds them whatever is donated.) Please help me figure this out, cat loving friends.

#2 ·
I would have kept her on whatever she was eating until she got settled in. Too many changes at once can have unwanted results. I would keep her on one room until she starts using the litter box properly. Yes, she'll cry, but your daughter can spend lots of time with her. They'll both love that. Does the shelter guaranty a healthy kitten, or at least cover vet visits for 7-14 days? I would definitely take her to a vet right away to get her tested for any parasites, etc.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.