Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some suggestions....
I got a new kitten today, he's about 7 weeks old. Angel isn't too fond of him yet. She's hissing at him, but seems very interested in every move he makes. Anyway, I have a box with a sweatshirt in it for the kitten to sleep in. I put the box in the laundry room with food, water, and a litter box. Should I keep Angel in my room all night so that she won't go in the laundry room and pick a fight with him? Angel usually sleeps in my room all night, I just usually keep the door open.
I need to know how I can make this easier on Angel, if I can. I want her to know that she's not going to be loved any less and that she's still my baby girl. I've been trying to give her a lot of attention to show her that I still love her, but she just walks away and even growls sometimes. Will things get easier?
Also, I haven't had an actual kitten in a long time. Angel was already 6 months old when I got her. So I'm not quite sure what age the new kitten needs to go to the vet to get his first shots, and what shots he all needs.
One last thing, I need some help naming him. The only name I've come up with that I like is Murry, but I'm sure I like it enough.
Thanks in advance for the help!
Melissa & Angel
P.S. I'll try to post some pictures of the new kitten in the next few days.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
From what I've heard, when you introduce a new cat, don't do anything that would change your existing cat's lifestyle, for example locking her out of rooms she used to be able roam freely in or pay her any less attention.

Everybody says that you should separate the 2 cats until they are accustomed to the new "scent" of each other in the house so I wouldn't think it's a good idea to leave them together unattended quite yet.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm keeping the new kitten in the laundry room just at night because I know that Angel will be perfectly fine staying in my room all night, since that's what she usually does (her food and water and her litter box are in the laundry room, but she has access to it during the day without the kitten in there). I pretty much skipped that whole "scent" step, I watched them as they sniffed eachother when they were introduced. Angel hisses at him once in a while, but she's right there when he starts crying because he's alone. I really believe that Angel will warm up to the kitten because I know Angel's personality. God, I hope I'm right. :roll: Anyway, I'll keep Angel in my room tonight, with the door shut that way I don't have to worry about them being unsupervised.
One more thing, if I plan on going somewhere should I keep the kitten in the laundry room and put Angel outside? That's one thing I really havn't figured out yet. . .
Thanks again,
Melissa & Angel

·
Registered
43 Posts
Congratulations :) Regarding the shots, kittens need to be vaccinated at 9 weeks and 12 weeks of age. They will be vaccinated against Feline Infectious Enteritis, Herpes and Calici Viruses (the viruses which cause "Cat 'flu ") and Feline Leukaemia Virus. I believe worming should be done at four week intervals from 2 to 6 months of age. Did you adopt the kitten from a pet shelter? Perhaps they've already done a round of worming treatment. Otherwise, your vet will be able to get you what you need.

Best of luck,
Beth

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'd recommend reconsidering the arrangement you have set up. Instead of restricting Angel to a room (or putting her outside), restrict the newcomer to a room that Angel uses less (give him his own litter box and food/water). Since the litter box is in the laundry room, as is her food, Angel should have access to that space at all times.

I think the major benefit of the initial separation of two kitties is that the only initial change the resident cat has to deal with is a new scent - and not an immediate newcomer running around. They have access to all their regular spaces and people and routines, and can slowly adjust to the knowledge that there is someone new around, and smell the newcomer on you, and get an overall feeling of reassurance that everything is okay, while at the same time not seeing it or you with it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ospunkyo - Thanks. I actually got to thinking about that this morning because Angel wanted to eat but wouldn't go in there with the kitten in there. I may put the kitten in the bathroom...since that's the only other safe place I know of that he can't get into things.

ikbeth - I actually got the kitten from an old man was giving away free kittens. The kittens were in a shop area (kinda like a garage). There were two litters of kittens with 3 adult females with them. They were born April 19 :) Anyway, to answer your question, he's not from the shelter. Thanks for the information.

Thanks again to everyone.

And anyone has any name suggestions let me know! I'm totaly stumped! :?

Melissa & Angel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts