Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hullo!

I just got a beautiful new baby boy. He is a bundle of joy for my girlfriend and I, completely playful but also very very sweet.

Unfortunately we're having some problems, since day 1. If he is in the bedroom at night, he is typically biting toes, scratching things he's not supposed to, chewing on her hair (oooh she hates that!), general mischeif.

But if we put him outside and shut the door, he meows until the sun comes up. He truly will go on for hours before quitting, and I simply cannot sleep with the noise (and I feel sorta bad locking him out too).

Please help! I'd much rather him get used to the idea that we're sleeping, stop being mischevous. But I also feel that he needs to understand that he's safe here so he doesn't need to cry all night, etc.

We've had him for over a week now, he's just over 2 months old, and this has been -- as I said before -- the situation since the first day, nothing changed.

Thanks.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Try playing with him a ton before you go to bed, so he will be tired as well. Or get another furrkid to keep him entertained while you sleep. Congrats on your new kitty!

·
Registered
4 Posts
hmm the safest way ive known of to sort of give kitties the idea that what theyre doing is wrong, try to have a little squirt bottle or something and just keep putting the kitten on the floor or whatever at night and when you catch him doing something that hes not supposed to, and give him a little squirt of water. generally since kitties dont LIKE water, and it doesnt hurt him, its sort of a safe way to correct them. (jumping on counters, etc.) or maybe try shutting your bedroom door at night and leaving him outside your room. playin with him alot before bedtime is a really great idea, it would definately get him tired out and hed want to rest. most of them just grow out of it though.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Squirting and other forms of punishment generally do not work well with cats, and are not recommended.

Are you gone during the day? If so, a kitty buddy might indeed be the best bet.

This little guy is saving up all his energy for you, and what do you do? Sleep!! Cats are born nocturnal, and it takes time for a baby to reset *his* natural clock to *your* schedule. He needs tons of attention and playtime! A good play session before bed, followed by a snack to help him sleep, is a great idea. See:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=012

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Play sessions are GREAT!!!

Bosco loves this toy that hangs from the doorway..it is a mouse on a
stretchy string...when he bats at it it makes noise.
I can hear him playing with it often at night time! YAY!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts