Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how long should one wait before allowing kitty out of his room to explore the rest of the house?

my kitten is about 10 weeks old, he just came home today, and he already playing and looking bored with his room...

he has toys laying around... any more and i wont be able to walk in there without hurting my feet......

he is still a little shy, but if i sit on the floor for about 5 min, he creeps out and begins purring and playing and being affectionate....

i know each cat is different, but what is the avg. wait time?
i also have 2 resident cats that need to be introduced...
they both have wonderful temperments, they have never fought or shown signs of agression

infact, the female has already had an interaction wiht the kitten today...
she darted into his room when i opened the door... he was hiding under the futon and she made a bee line for him...
i was scared to death, but nothing happened... she just stood there sniffing him, and he just stood there (probably scared)

i tried to tug her out of there, but i couldnt really reach her....
i guess she sensed that i wanted her out from under there because she left a few seconds later on her own free will.....

given the loving nature of the resident cats i think the introduction will go off without a hitch...

im just wondering when is a good time?

thanks for the help
(and be on standby for many many more quesitons... this is my 1st time raising a kitten, my other 2 kitties were shelter rescues)

[hyp]

·
Registered
722 Posts
When we brought Envy home we had to go to another State to get her (about 6 hours away) she stayed in the Hotel bathroom the first night, the second night we brought her home and she stayed under the bed about five hours before I got down on the floor and put my hand near her for her to smell me. Once she did that she came out and was very loving. She stayed in the bedroom the first two days, after that we left the door open so she could explore, she took her time about it and the bedroom is still "home" to her but she roams the entire house now. Id say it depends on the cat, just make sure she spends enough time in there to know where the litterbox is.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
your 1st day with envy sounds exactly how today went with hanzo....

sounds like i will be able to introduce hanzo to issac and shadow(the resident cats) in a day or 2 :) if all goes well i will leave the door open for him to explore.....

another quesiton... once the kitten is confident enuff to explore the house, and knows where all the litter boxes are, is it safe to allow him out when noone is home? or is it best to keep him in his little room?
if you do leave him in the room, how long should he be on this "probation"?

by the way envy is beautiful....
i just adore bengals...
which is why i got one :) (hanzo the new kitten is a bengal)

[hyp]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts