Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm new to this forum but I've been reading for a while and ya'll have a great place here. Sorry my first post has to be a question but me and my g/f are very concerned and I was hoping ya'll could help.

Friday we picked up a kitten from the local humane society and they said she was 8weeks old. She also got her first round of shots before we picked her up. This whole weekend all she has done is sleep-maybe been active 2 hours a day. She also won't eat much. We figured she would have been on solid food by now but we got to looking and her premolars are just now starting to break through the gum and she barely weighs 1 pound. So now we figure she is only about 5-6weeks old. She'll drink a little cat's milk but not a whole lot. We are just concerned because she is not eating and she's really skinny. Any ideas???

Thanks,
Brandon

·
Registered
263 Posts
When we got Token, the owners said he was 7 weeks old. But, he only weighed .5 lbs and was absolutely tiny. We got him on a Saturday and by Monday he had only eaten a tiny bit of the dry food we got him. So, we took him to the vet, and found out that he was only ~ 4 weeks and had never been on solid food. We tried KMR second step, but he wasn't crazy about it. Then, we got science diet canned food, and tried to get him to eat it. He ate tiny bits at a time, but we fed him about every 4-5 hours through the day. We also left the dry food out for him. At about 7 weeks old, he finally started to eat the dry food. I would say buy a good brand of canned food, and try to get her to eat that. That is what worked for us.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I also recommend that you bring her into a vet as soon as possible. I don't want to worry you but the fact that she is sleeping so much and not eating is very concerning.

Please keep us updated on her.

Deirdre

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
The kitten could react to the change in enviroment as well... but to be 100% sure I'd have a vet check on her. Better going once too many.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also would take your little one to the vet. Better safe than sorry.

She could have an intestinal parasite/worm problem (even if they wormed her), coccidia (only seen with a microscope), or be having a bad reaction to the vaccination given at the shelter. All of these can make her very sick. She could also be running a fever and/or have an infection of some sort. Many illnesses are spread in shelters and sometimes only become noticeable when the kitties go to a new home.

If I were you, I wouldn't wait much longer to get her to the doctor because, especially with a little kitten, lethargy and lack of appetite are not good signs and their bodies are still developing immunities.

I hope she gets better. Keep us posted on how she's doing.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Well, welcome to the boards!!! I am just going to re-enforce all the great advice you have already gotten- she needs to see a vet, and soon. Such a small, young kitten can go downhill EXTREMELY fast 8O You guys sound like great parents, so I'm sure she'll be fine, if she gets the attention she needs :) Keep us posted!! Oh-and what is her name?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!!!!

It's been a day later and she's doing much better. My g/f swung by the store and got her some canned food. She ate 3 times last night after I got home. When my alarm went off this morning she was ready to get up and eat again. I couldn't fix her food fast enough!!!

Also we're thinking about the name Tiger because of all the stripes.

Here's a few pics - sorry for the bad quality - my new camera will be today!!!
Playing
In the Kitchen
Getting Weighed
In The Bed

THANKS AGAIN,
Brandon

·
Registered
20 Posts
OHHH what a cutie. I love grey tabbies!
(no, I don't have any advice, but I jsut had to say that :))

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Lilykins said:
OHHH what a cutie. I love grey tabbies!
(no, I don't have any advice, but I jsut had to say that :))
Ditto on that. I love the bandana pic, too cute. Oh and welcome from one Houstonian to another :wink:

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
such pretty eyes :)

Addison had some problems after he got his shots too, even though he's not a kitten. The first ones were fine (well, he was mad at ME the rest of the day, but that's normal) and the second round was horrible. he laid in a pile of clothes on the floor and wouldn't move for a full day, cried terribly when I picked him up... broke my heart. He came around in a day or two though.

That may have been the problem. Glad your kitty's doing well now!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the kind words - She's a doll.

She's got all her energy back and then some. She's really got an appetitte too. We're gettin' some weight on her and her coat is getting shiny. I posted some more pics for everyone to see:

Link to other thread

She went to the vet for a checkup and her next round of shots. When we woke up this morning my girlfriend noticed that she had a runny nose and felt warm. Turns out she had a 103.5 fever and upper respiratory infection so she got a round of antibiotics. Other than that she's bouncy around and having a good time.

Brandon and Kendra

1 - 12 of 12 Posts