Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allo allo!
My kitty just had kittens last week, thankfully everything went well.
Now they're all 10 days old, and only one so far has opened its eyes.

Now I'm not as much concerned as to that as I've heard it's 7-10 days for eye-opening, and right now none of them is overly puffy in the eyes yet, as I heard that's the warning sign.

Now my concern is that one of them still has its dried up umbilical cord attached, is that a problem this late? Weren't they all supposed to fall off around 1-3 days?

Also, I heard that kittens were photosensitive, and so I've been keeping the light off, and when I have to have it on, I put a double-folded blanket over their box. How long should I be doing this?

Ditto with the hand-washing before touching them because of their sensitive immune system? Although I heard that should be done until at least 4 weeks, more like 6-8 weeks, but I heard that they start exploring around 4 weeks, so that kinda seems redundant.

So yeah, if someone could enlighten me that would be great!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hello,
Well, congratulations on your new kittens!
Well, some cats probably open their eyes a little late.

It's good that none of them are overly puffy in the eyes.

You should visit the vet and see if he or she can do anything with the umbilical cord, or give you any advice. I don't know much about kittens, so I'm not sure if it's supposed to fall off around 1-3 days.

I am sure that kittens are photosensitive, and it's good that you have a blanket for them. I am guessing that you should be doing that until they are at least a few months old. Ask your vet.

I am sure that it is good to wash your hands before touching them. Oh, have you asked your vet for all of these things yet? I'm sure the vet could help you, or a book, or the internet.

Good Luck, and Congrats!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts