Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I recently adopted a kitten about 18 weeks old. He is super sweet, affectionate, etc but scared of everything. No biting or scratching just runs and hides. The vet suggested we keep him in the bathroom. So we gave him our master bath/bedroom. We blocked off all potential hiding spots (he always finds a new one though) and he just stays sleeping on a shelf. He does snuggle in bed with me at night, but other than that he’s pretty much cowered in a corner. It’s been a week. When do we let him explore the rest of the house?

He’s eating and doing his business just fine, so I don’t think he’s sick. When he gives us a chance and let’s us pet him, he’s super sweet. Even lets us play with him occasionally. Just feel like I’m doing something wrong. I feel so sad for him, always afraid.

·
Registered
0 Posts
You’re doing nothing wrong...he is just getting used to everything new...new room, new things, new humans, new smells, new noises.

Play soft music in the background for him. Get down on the floor at his level and talk quietly to him. Let him sniff your glasses/sunglasses. Sit on the floor and play with a feather teaser wand with him.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I agree with Mocha and I like her advice as well. I'm sure the kitty it just trying to figure it all out. I love that he sleeps with you at night. :) It may be that he will always be a bit of a skitty kitty, but he should improve.

Oh and before you consider letting him out of the room, put a collar with a bell on him. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same thing happening with us right now. Just got a 12 week old kitten at Christmas and her favorite place is under the bed. I wonder how long (months?) it usually takes to see just how much they will end up coming out of their shell, and how much is fixed personality? My vivacious 3 and 5 year old children do startle her with their excitement sometimes, as much as I ask them to stay calm. I tried the Feliway plug-in but can't tell if it is helping yet. This kitty does not respond at all to catnip or treats to coax her out from under the bed. The only time she will sit still and let you pet her is when she is eating! I just want her to love my daughter (age 5) as much my daughter loves her new kitty!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts