Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. This is the first time that I have had a cat of my own (we've had family cats, I've been on my own for a while now though). I got my new kitten last night, and I need some help/advice.

Everything was all good until it was time for bed. I took him into bed with me and turned out the lights. Tony (the cat) then decided that he didn't want to be on my bed and he instead wanted to explore. That would be fine, but he wanted to explore with me by his side. He just kept jumping down from the bed and then meowing until I would go pick him up and return him with me. Well we finally got to sleep, for a little bit, and then he decided we were getting up at about 6am. Since then I have been playing with him and he's been exploring a bit.

The main thing is now that he seems all happy and everything, until I start doing something other than paying attention to him (like typing this) and he will just sit and meow until I go and get him. Is this normal? What should I be doing? When he meows and wants attention should I go and give it to him, or should I let him get used to being away from his family? Could he just be hungry? He hasn't eaten since he got here, I'm about to go and get him some wet food right now (that's what they said he was on until this point), but I'm afraid that as soon as I leave he is just going to meow and meow, the neighbours probably wouldn't be too pleased with me.

Please give me some advice, I knew there was going to be a period like this but to someone that has never been here before it's quite daunting at this point, I would really appreciate any and all advice.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
No need to worry, Captain. :)

It sounds like very normal kitten behavior to me. Cats are naturally nocturnal, so it's going to take a couple weeks to get your sleep schedules synchronized. You could try play therapy in the evenings to tire your kitten out before bed. Here's littlebigcat.com's article on it: http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=012

During the day you may want to give him a toy that he can play with by himself while you do human things like cook dinner. I've heard great things about the Panic Mouse. I believe you can find it at any major pet supply retailer. Here's a website with some info on it: http://www.catsplay.com/panicmouse.php3

You could also try the Cat Sitter DVD or Video. My cat and a couple other cats on this forum enjoy it very much. I got mine at Petsmart for about $10. http://www.interplanetarypets.com/catsittervhs.html Here are some pictures of a couple forum kitties watching their DVDs.
My Sabby:

Jonsgirl's Kota:

I believe kitkat also has this video for her cats, but I didn't see any pictures posted.

If you're worried about leaving your cat home while you go out and get food, Petsmart allows you to take them in with you. Or if you're going to a local pet store, call ahead and ask if you can bring your kitten with you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but I kind of feel guilty leaving him alone when he's just sitting here crying but I guess I am going to have to go to places by myself (college etc) so I'm not being mean by leaving him right?

PS thanks for the advice, give me any you got cat veterans, I'm a sponge and I want to raise a happy, healthy, cat who can be on his own when I'm at work and such

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I read somewhere that when you leave, you should ignore your cat for 15 minutes before you leave, then just walk out the door without acknowledging him. When you return, do the exact same thing in reverse. Walk in without acknowledging him, then ignore him for 15 minutes, then love him up. I think it was at cats.about.com. I think the idea is to instill the idea that your coming and going isn't a big deal. You might try this for small periods of time and gradually work your way up to the amount of time you'll be away on a normal day. Start with, say, 5 minutes, then 10, then 20 and so on.

You're not being mean by leaving your cat alone for a few hours. Chances are, when he gets used to your schedule, he'll just sleep while you're away. The Cat Sitter DVD has an option for continuous play. If you turn that on 15 minutes before you leave, he'll have something to do if he gets bored.

·
Registered
44 Posts
G'day Captain,

I think you have to set some ground rules for "Number One" else he could get spoiled and expect that you'll ALWAYS have time to play with him, pick him up etc when he cries... and as you say you're a busy man! Since you can't assign some crewman to look after him (perhaps Mr Woof? LOL) while you're gone I think you need to be cruel to be kind. I know your heart breaks when the little one cries - sometimes my curl just runs at me and meows and meows for my attention - I know she's OK - she has food, she has water, she has clean litter... but there's a point when you just have to go about running the ship.

Getting him food is a good start. Don't worry that he's not eating straight away - he needs to settle in to the ready room and work out that this is his home. My girl didn't eat for 2 days after she arrived and I was worried but then she got down to it when she was ready.

The only other advise I'd give is not to take kitty to bed with you - as you say he wants to explore and I think it's best to leave kitty out of the room, but give him access of course (I leave my bedroom door open). kitty can come when he's ready and then you know it's his decision to come visit. It took a week or so for mine - sometimes she'd sit on on her blanket, or sleep in a corner or something, but she found her own way and now every night like clockwork five minutes after I'm in bed she jumps up and settles on the bed.

Anyway I'm sure his crying will calm down. Remember he's just arrived and prob. doesn't know if he'll be moved again or that he'll always be yours. He just has to get used to the place and to know he is secure there without your protection (clearly he already associates you with security and happiness, which is good). When he realises that there's no nasty dogs or anything to hurt him he will perhaps become less reliant on your constant companionship to handle day to day catty life.

Good luck with him :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright, this is the real day 1 and things are somewhat better. He has been less meowy in general, still meows but not as much. I have also been ignoring him sometimes when he meows instead of always giving him attention when he does. I went out today and bought him some new toys and a new scratching post but he doesn't seem to interested in playing right now, he's surprisingly calm and has just been quietly checking things out. I do really appreciate all of the advice, it's nice to find a place like this where everyone has been through this already and can offer advice/suggestions. If anyone has any other advice AT ALL about anything kitten related please relay it. I want to make sure that I raise Tony to be a member of my family, more than simply a pet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PS does anyone know of a site to order a panic mouse in Canada? My local pet stores do not carry it unfortunately, anyone had a good experience ordering one online (preferably in Canada or one that delivers to)

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I'm sorry, I'm not having much luck. Petsmart will ship to Canada, but it costs quite a bit more.
$29.99 for the toy
$4.99 for replacement wands (optional)
$7.99 for Ground shipping
$19.00 additional fee for shipment to Canada ($15 + $4 brokerage fee)

It doesn't say, but I think it's safe to assume that all prices are U.S.D. Here's the link if you're still interested: (edited out url)

(Edit) I guess the url is too long to link... Go to http://www.petsmart.com, click on "Cat" near the top of the page, click on "Toys and Treats" on the bottom of the left-hand navigation bar, click on "Toys" when your options expand under "Toys and Treats", click on "Interactive". It's the second to last item on the second page. I'm sure you didn't need all the instructions, but I like to be thorough. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you annissa, better thourough than lacking

Tony is getting better, less meowy, he still meows but when he does I usually just let him go and he stops soon enough. Last night was much better, we both slept on the couch until about 6am (fell asleep during the Matrix 3) and then we went to bed. He came into my room (let him come on his own) and he wanted to play as he was awake. So we played "hand under the blanket" for about 10 minutes, after that he was tired out again and we slept until 9. Sweet glorious sleep!!

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
That deserves a great big "AWWWWW!"

He's so cute. I love the white eyebrow whiskers coming out of black fur. Sabby's whiskers are like that too. He has one black whisker.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, that is very cute. My Celeste also has white "eyebrow whiskers" coming out of grey fur. :) Sounds like Tony is fitting in just fine and finding his own niche, and feeling more comfy to be alone at home when you're not around but also of course enjoying the time that you are :)

Just on cat toys and scratching posts - I've found just about every cat toy I've got or been given has gone unused yet a scrunched up piece of paper, or drawstring on a bag provides hours of amusement. I think it has something to do with the cats finding the things for themselves rather than having a toy thrown at them (I sometimes hear Celeste playing with one of her toy cat balls that has a small bell in it, but if I play with her with it she runs off or isn't interested). :)

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Sabby's the exact opposite. I think he recognizes the Petsmart bag. He comes right over, sits at my feet and waits for me to hand him the toy. The more expensive the toy the more he likes it.

Case in point: the catnip mice I got from the grocery store went ignored, but the catnip mouse my friends sent to him from a posh pet store in downtown Seattle was torn up in 2 minutes flat...then he had a go at the box it came in!

There's got to be a better name than "eyebrow whiskers." I just don't know what it is. :)

We need more Tony pics...that's for sure. :)

And, hey...I would really like to see more Celeste pics, too!

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I think your kitten is using you for a littermate! When one wants to play, all of the kittens get disturbed. If she seems really lonely, and none of the suggestions work, there's nothing better than another kitten to keep her company! :wink:

All of the pictures are great! :)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Places to buy Panic Mouse with shipping to Canada

Drugstore.com
http://www.drugstore.com/templates/brand/default.asp?brand=26632&aid=336064&aparam=xsp91717

QVC
http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?aol_refer=false&msn_refer=false&nest=http://www.qvc.com/scripts/detail.dll?item=M9600!tpl=DETAIL!ref=BRS&ref=BRS

Also, kudos on not giving in every time Tony whines. You will get a very spoiled kitty who will run all over you if you do! (well, he'll still rule you, but at least it won't be as obvious! :p )

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Annissa said:
I believe kitkat also has this video for her cats, but I didn't see any pictures posted.
You know Annissa, that is one pic I don't have of them!! Hehe off I go to start taking pictures ....:)

I remember when my lil furrbabies were baby kittens, they were always good though. They always slept with me at the time I slept. My bf would sometimes want them outside the bedroom to sleep and Sugar would go crazy pawing the door nonstop, but then I realized, why are we putting her outside if she is just sleeping in the room and not bugging us??

Anyways, just make sure you don't give in to their crying b/c if you do they will grow up very spoiled and you will regret it. Sometimes I had to kick Sugar out and I always opened the door to let her in and eventually it got really bad where she would paw nonstop. So my bf said just leave her alone, don't pay attention to her and eventually after awhile she stopped doing that.

Lesson is: Sometimes you have to settle with them whining and crying, it will only help everyone in the future. :D

·
Registered
381 Posts
Not to scare you, but you don't want to leave the panic mouse on when you aren't home. It has a string and they WILL eventually get tangled up in it. We have those door toys on a string and they only come out when we are home because he flips around and got tangled in it once. He didn't like the panic mouse so I returned it to the store. He is a Abyssinian and very active, but didn't like the sound of the motor. He likes just about every toy that I buy for him, but not that one so I'd be sure you can return it if yours don't like it.

I use a solar powered rainbow maker(crystal light catcher) in the window and it drives my kitty nuts trying to catch the moving rainbow lights.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

I also have the cat sitter DVD and play it for him from time to time. It is beautiful and I sat and watched it a few times myself. :shock:

Here is my Ronnie watching his DVD

1 - 20 of 22 Posts