Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got a new kitten to company our resident cat (and me) a few moths a go. The older one is 6-ear-old fixed boy, the younger 5-month-old boy, fixed at the age on 3 monts.

The young one is full of energy and love for humans. He also adores the older cat, who seems to be the dominating one. They wrestle and sleep together curled around each other in the sweetest way. They help aech other to clean butt's and ears.

So the cat's seem to do fine (which is a relief, Ive heard the horror stories), but I see changes in the behavior of the older cat: He pays less attencion to humans. He seems shyer and doesn't come so close he used to. The kitten on the contrary loves to be petted and the certer of the attention.

Could it be, that the older cat now get all the love he needs from the other cat and doesn't need us anymore, or could he express his stress and discomfort this way?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a 7 year old female cat (Cleo)and I just got a 2 months old kitten (Max), they did not get along at first but now they are best friends. However I have noticed my older cat sometimes shy away when i hold the kitten. I think without meaning to I was just giving more attention to the kitten, now when i get home I pick up Cleo and sit with her while i brush her and talk to her, the kitten will come over on his own anyways so it gives her the feeling she is important again and she is being her old sweet social self again.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Cats can be jealous of attention lavished on a new kitten, and this may be your older boy's way of showing his displeasure. Spend more one-on-one time with your older boy, and give him lots of loving, play and treats away from sight and hearing of your kitten. Let him know he's still #1.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a great moment with Wizard (the older cat) yeaterday. I brushed he and afterwards he seemed more like him self. It's difficult to get any one-on-one time with him, because the kitten is Siamese - hyperactive and won't let me out of his sight. I love that, but I think it might be too much for Wizard.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Grooming (brushing) is a great way for you to bond with your cat. Go into a separate room and close the door to give Wizard his special time. Otherwise, your Siamese kitty will push himself into all the attention that Wizard is getting, and then he will be put off by this. All the best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts