Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, so I'm going to bring my new kitten to the vet this week and i'm wondering which shots I should be getting it. it's only 11 weeks old but i read that it should have it's first shots between 8-12. I'm not quite sure which shots to get for it and I don't want to be ripped off by the vet for un-needed shots since it's going to be an indoor cat. I'm also thinking about getting deworming medication for it as well, i think this is what may be causing it's sloppy stool. thanks in advance.

meowmix.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi meowmix! I believe the first shots are for feline distemper (a disease that attacks their immune system), Rhinotracheitis (similar to the humans herpes virus they say), and Calicivirus (respiratory disease.) And probably a rabies shot if its old enough. You can look it up, thats just what I think they are. You'll probably want to get it dewormed as well, you were right. Most kittens need that done. My first visit to the vet was a long time ago, but I don't believe it was really expensive. And I'm a poor college kid, so anything is expensive to me. :wink:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey, thanks for teh reply fallon137, do you know if all these shots will be given in one appointment? i don't want them to drug him up too badly and have him walking into walls. :wink:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Rabies cannot be given before 12 weeks, preferably 16. The others all come together in one shot, they would need that and a booster in 3-4 weeks. Try to wait 3-4 weeks between those and rabies, too. That gives their little immune systems time to fully process each one before being hit with another.

Indoor cats do not need: FeLV, FIV, FIP, Giardia, Ringworm, Corona, Bordatella, or whatever other vaccine-of-the-week is being promoted. Most of these are fairly worthless if not downright dangerous.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts