Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,
I rescued a 12, now 13 year old cat last year. She’s been my best friend since and helped me through a lot as much as a cat can. My partner and I just rescued a kitten that was found on the street. The kitten couldn’t of been more than 8 weeks old and was so skinny and malnourished so we took her in and she’s doing great so far! However my old cat is always hissing at her. I know there’s an adjustment period but it’s been a few weeks now and we keep the kitten in her own room except to let her roam occasionally and play more. My old cat is now starting to get nasty with me, swatting at me, hissing at me, Etc. I’ve tried the cat pheromones, tried the slow introduction as I read everywhere and was told. The shelter I got my old cat from Said that they have no history on her with Cats, but she used to fight dogs. I need some help here, because this is getting worse everyday and I refuse to put that kitten back out or rehome her when she’s so little and already endured enough.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
If you're still having problems with your old cat and rescued kitten, Jackson Galaxy has some good suggestions.

As far as your old cat is concerned......is she still being nasty with you? Try to change her attitude by being a source of good times/good treats etc. If she hisses at you, have a squeaky toy in your pocket and divert her attention, or a little mouse toy that's been rubbed with catnip. Ignore her swats, don't stare at her, but just walk calming away from her. When she is behaving well, reward her with a few treats (kept in a pocket), and tell her "good girl!". Let her initiate any affection touches. If she comes to you to rub against you, open your hand and let her rub against it. Don't touch her in places she may not like, such as on her lower back or above her tail....some cats detest that, others like it. Try and play with her with a wand toy, like "Da Bird" (as well as the kitten).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts