Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all. I'm new to the forum and just got a kitten the day before yesterday. She's 6 weeks (? she seems awfully small for 6 weeks), pure white and a sweetheart. I've got a dog who's about a year old and they get along great. Pixie (the kitten) just loves Sheba (my dog). Anyhow-the problem I'm having...

The lady I got her from told me she was litter box trained..she has YET to use the litter box. Oh, she's used the bathroom...in the LIVING ROOM! LoL. I don't know how to disipline her? Do I tell her it's bad? But I do try and catch her in the act and rush her to the litter box right away but nothing seems to work. PLUS..she's not eating. They also told me she's been eating dry food...she hasn't eaten since she's been here. She's playful and doesn't look unhappy...runs around playing with Sheba and us but what do I do about the litter box thing and the eating? Any suggestions? I'd really appreciate it! Thanks a bunch!

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Hi, eden, I moved this to the Behavior Forum. The problem is that your kitten is six weeks too young to have been removed from her mother and littermates. This is not your fault. Many people don't realize that 12 weeks is the proper age.

Don't punish her. She is suffering from the shock of leaving her mother and littermates so young. Don't expect her to eat for the first day or two. That's common for newly homed kittens. Just keep reinforcing the litter training, and give her lots of love. If she had hidden from you that would have been normal too. Just talk softly and be very kind to her. It's a shame she's so young, but to move her again would be worse yet. I'm glad she has a playmate. That will be a huge help. Please let us know how she progresses!

Welcome to the Cat Forum!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Jeanie answered your question with perfection! She was taken from her mother too young and she never got to fully learn everything a little kitty should before entering a 'cat's world'. Love, time, patience and dedication will pay off with a loving, great pet! :) I've read you shouldn't punish a cat for not using the litterbox but instead, if they got outside it, promtly place them in the litterbox. Since she's young, I'd suggest putting her in the litterbox every few hours, and showing her how to dig, she'll get it eventually. It also seemed to help me do it frequently after they would eat, and now my cat's almost always go within a short time of eating. :roll: It's normal for them not to eat for a day or so like Jeanie already mentioned, it's quite a shock for them to leave their mother and all their sibblings and be welcomed to a whole new life pretty much. She'll come around quickly, you'll be surprised. :) Just make sure to give her lot's of attention. :) HAHA I basically just repeated everything Jeanie said, but it's the truth so I suppose it would be the same. :p Good luck, I hope to see you around. Maybe you could get pictures to show us? Welcome to the forum, by the way, everyone here is friendly and wouldn't hesitate to help you so join on in. That's what everyone's here for, to talk, share stories/pictures/thoughts etc, help eachother and make some friends, so feel free to ask away ad join in the conversations! :)

- Randy

(Edit)- Here's a link you might want to check out to help a little with accommodating your new kitten. :) Enjoy and good luck! http://www.purina.com/cats/kittens.asp?article=124

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pixie is doing great. She had a small problem with the litter box for a few days there but I religiously took her in there and did little digging motions with her paws in hopes that she'd catch on. I don't know if she already knew but she caught on pretty quick. Now, when she's in the living room with us..she'll jump off the couch or where ever she is at the moment and go to a corner and meow loud. I go right over there and pick her up and put her in the litter box and she goes. Why doesn't she walk over there on her own?! She's finally eating great. I went and bought another brand of kitty food. IAMS and she seems to like that alot better than the stuff I had gotten before. Now when she's hungry she'll follow me around voicing her hunger to me. LoL. For some reason she's made ME her bed. Every single time I sit on the couch..she'll jump up on me however I'm laying and make herself comfy and go to sleep. *sigh* Then I feel bad about moving cuz she's sleeping. Sheba (my dog) and her get along great. I know have the problem of Sheba trying to eat all the kitty's food and getting in her litter box..yucky! I don't know how I'll get her to quit that but hopefully I'll figure something out soon. She does have teeth! I've felt them when she's being playful and wanting to nibble on my fingers. I posted something on the health forum about her being male or female...I guess I'll look tonite after the kiddos go to bed and check. I hope that she's a female and not a male. LoL. Pixie sounds alittle girlie for a boy's name. Haha. Thanks so much for your posts and advice. I totally appreciate it!

·
Registered
201 Posts
It sounds like you are doing a great job and he/she is warming up to you nicely. :) Since the kitten is so young he/she will probably think of you of more of the mother and so it could be why she calls you everywhere. ;) As far as the litterbox, have you checked if the sides are too high for her to get into? She might have a problem getting in on her own if she waits for you or she just likes having you helping her. :)

Having the kitten sleep on you is like a blessing. I know lot's of cats that don't do that, including my two. They both used to when they were both young. Anyway, good luck to you and the kitten! I'll check out your post about whether it's a male/female because i had to sex Tevy when she was really young, too. I got it down pretty well I think. HAHA Have a good day.

- Randy

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Eden, Pixie was the name of my very special little girl kitten whose story is
told here: http://www.catforum.com/viewforum.php?f=6 I think you will enjoy her story.

So you might run across some of my posts talking about my special Pixie. I had her for sixteen years.

It is not uncommon for dogs to be interested (and more) in the litter box. I would move the litter box where he can't get to it. This link will explain:

http://www.vetinfo.com/deatpoop.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's possible, too, that the reason she asks for help is becuase the litter box is too far away from her when she gets the "urge". For a kitten that young, it's best to have several litter boxes around the house if it's at all possible. Keep in mind that for a little one that age, a "litterbox" can simply be a tinfoil cookie sheet with a little bit of litter in it. As she gets older start removing them until there's only one (or two if you have a large or a two-story house).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts