Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site and this is my first post.

My hubby & I are adopting our first set of kittens from the local shelter and they're due to come home in a few weeks. I've read quite a few "introducing your new kitten to your house" books and most seem to agree you should confine your kitten/s to one room for the first week and only allow them into other parts of the house if they're supervised. My question is, what happens at night time? Because we spend the majority of our time in the livingroom, we plan to keep the kittens confined there so we can spend as much time with them as possible. However, I don't know what to do when it's time for bed! Do we leave them downstairs in the livingroom by themselves w/food, water and litter tray, or should they come upstairs to be closer to us and placed into one of the spare bedrooms. This may sound like a silly question to you cat gurus out there :) but I can't find anything on the subject in any of the books I've read. I'm a little hesitant to leave them downstairs by themselves as they might get into mischief when we're not around (scratch sofa, curtains, not use litter tray, etc.).

Any suggestions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a bunch,
Beth

·
Registered
159 Posts
Maybe you should have them into a smaller room, rather than the living room? Just a thought. I'm no expert either, but I recently went through the same situation :)

We left the kitten in the bathroom and another small room, but he did mess with a few things when we were gone. He was so scared of us the first couple of days though, that he would just hide behind something or under something so we couldn't get him. So you probably won't want to move them around too much, at least not the first few days. You could come into the room and sit there, talk to them, until they're not as scared anymore. Maybe the living room will be a bit hectic to them...

Then after a few days, when they trust you a little bit more you can open the door and let them roam around. Always under your supervision.

But let's wait what others (with more experience) have to say :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think a smaller room would be best to begin with, make sure they have some toys to amuse themselves.

Also if you are going to be about for the first few days of them being home, then place them in there litter tray a few days a day. Just so that they get used to it.

What often happens is kittens are left to wonder too much and then cannot find there try and so you are left with a problem of a cat soiling on your carpet.

For the first few days, left them get comfortable with you, as they will be scared.

Another good trick is once they have got used to you, is when you are picking them up, make them lie on their backs while you rub there tummy, this then gets them used to be placed like this and a kitten will learn that nothing bad is going to happen to them when you do this. A adult cat would not be so easy to persuade that this will not harm them.

All in all, I am sure you will do fine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i know this is kinda an older topic - but....

I have a siamese (2 yoa) and I just got a 8 month old persian.. and they are hissing at each other but not alot.. I put the persian on the bathroom with water/food. and litter and shut the door.. but she wont come out of the bathtub! how do I know when its ok to let them interact with each other and what not?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts