Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just brought home two 3 month old Burmese kittens. They are very scared right now. I knew they would be, but you can't prepare yourself for actually seeing them that way, poor things. :(

I know it takes time for them to adjust. What are some time frames for how long it took your kittens to become comfortable?

And don't worry, I will have pictures very soon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Best I could do with the one in back (his name is Ray) wanting to hide behind his buddy (his name is Stevie). Should I care at all that they want to hide in the litterbox?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Oh how adorable!

I think it usually takes a day or two for them to warm up to their new enviroment. They should be ok soon.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Congrats on your new family additions! Since they're kittens, it won't take them long for their curiousity to get them out and about soon. Just give them a couple boxes or cat condos to hide in for as long as they need. It's fine that they're hiding in the litterbox, it's something they're familiar with.

I talked softly to mine as I went about my business, and just waited for them to come over to me. Looking forward to hearing more and seeing pics soon!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Don't worry -- they are just in the litterbox because it's small and covered and familiar, therefore a place of security.

The most important thing is not to push them. Don't go grabbing them out of their safe environment -- if they want to hide, let them hide. They will get used to you if you pose no threat to them whatsoever. As mentioned, go about your business like you would -- give them encouragement when they make ventures or seem interested, offer treats and give them praise -- but don't push it, and don't get in their face. If they don't want treats or petting, leave them alone and let them have their way -- they will feel safe this way, and learn to trust that you aren't going to force them into anything. Let them make all the moves, and you will be good to go in no time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Things are so much better now, although there is still a ways to go. They are still nervous when I am in the room, but not flat-out scared like they were before. They both just ate from a plate that was less than a foot away from where I was sitting and they fell asleep while I was still in the room (first time for both of those things). They are out playing and exploring while I am not in the room (I can see their little feet when I peek under the door). In fact I just heard a thud and Stevie (the gray one) just jumped up onto the bathroom counter (1st time I've seen him up there, although he could be up there all night for all I know)

That first day was very rough on all of us. They were very scared, didn't move, and didn't eat. My head told me that was normal, but my heart was breaking.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I want them! I'm surprised that your breeder didn't do more socialization before you bought them, honestly. But no matter what, the Burmese is a great breed and all they need is time. I would make sure they can see you though -- and you're not just this scary person who comes into "their room" sometimes. If it's been a few days then it might be time to open up the door and let them out if they want. Just keep trying to associate yourself with good things -- food, treats, and a soothing voice. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
for my kitten dill it only took him a day to get used to us..we talked alot with him and cuddled with him..he was only 6 wks old when we got him.. but hes as wild as ever now..likes to get into everything.. Congratulations on your new additions!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They only hid in the litter box the first night. Now they sleep in the corner on a couple of pairs of sweatpants. When they are awake they are exploring the bathroom. They've been on the counters, on the toilet, in the tub. They've been playing with toys too. Still nervous around me, but it's getting better. And in fairness to the breeder, she broke her ankle about a month or so ago and it has been a struggle for her to manage her cattery since. I can't really blame here for not being able to socialize them as she usually would. It's just going to take some time, which I've got.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
That's understandable -- she might have brought in others to help with socialization, but afterthoughts don't really help I suppose. How long have they been home with you now -- about 3 days?

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Have you tried just sitting in there with them and reading a book, or playing with a wand toy? I'd try to stay in there as long as I could, and just let them come up and sniff you whenever they are ready. Have you tried opening the bathroom door for them?

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Just on a sidenote, I would say those cats are two totally different colors. I think one is champagne, but that other one looks blue. They are so cute. And what color are their eyes? Are the champagne's eyes green?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
you might try a blanket or something similar with your scent on it, and leave it in the room for them. that may help them get used to you.

just a thought...

·
Registered
656 Posts
When my Jerry and Minnie were tiny babys they liked to sleep in the litter box to. I also had a covered pan. I think someone said this is because it is small and covered, this is very true. They feel secure there. Very normal.

It always takes some time to adjust, they are a little scared and trying to figure out a new home. As long as you are patient and gentle with them they will be just fine. I know you are doing great and I can tell by your posts that you love them very much already.

I used to have a laundry basket, turned on its side with a soft blanket in it when Minnie and Jerry were babys. (after that I bought a playpen for the new kittens) They loved to sleep in there bed, and now we have to leave that same soft blanket on top of our bed at all times. Minnie and Jerry would be lost with out it. :wink:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I frequently go in there and just sit there, sometimes reading aloud from a magazine in a soft voice. That seems to relax them. I also have put the shirt I wore on Monday in there with them. I'm very close to opening the door and letting them come out into the bedroom if they want. I wanted to make sure they felt comfortable in the bathroom first, which they are; they've explored every inch. The pic below is of them hanging out last night. As far as their colors, yes one is champagne and the other is platinum, although he is a pretty dark platinum, almost blue. They both have gold eyes. By the way, thanks for all of the encouragement and advice! :)

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Sounds like you are doing really great. That amazing patience of yours is really going to pay off -- and since these cats are using each other for confidence you can bet that they will always be very bonded. You are going to have a great family. :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts